how to fit a new hardrive and cd drive

skaria 17:24 07 Jan 05

hi everyone
i have just ordrered a new maxtor ata 200gb hard drive(ata) and a cd/dvd drive but have no idea how to fit it. I have heard it is not to hard, but I'd really appreciate if it if you have any easy instruction or tips. I have a dell dimension 8250. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 07 Jan 05

Fit 2nd HDD
click here
click here

Build your own PC
Videos click here
Info click here

Gongoozler 17:35 07 Jan 05

skaria, what drives do you already have, and do you know what IDE channels they are on.

skaria 17:36 07 Jan 05

sorry, i forgoy to explain, both of these are replacing current drives. sorry
skaria

skaria 17:37 07 Jan 05

i already have cd drive, cdrw+dvdrw and one 80gb hard drive. Im not sure what you mean by saying What channels they are on. Thanks for the fast reply.

Gongoozler 17:46 07 Jan 05

Hi skaria. Your computer has 2 IDE channels, the Primary and the Secondary. The cable for each channel has two connectors for drives (in addition to the motherboard connector). One drive is the Master and the other is the Slave. This is set by links at the back of the drives. If you are replacing drives, make sure that you note the position of the links and set the replacements to be the same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 07 Jan 05

You should have two IDE cables (ribbon red stripe)

On will go to your HDD and should have a spare slot.

set new HDD to slave on jumpers plug into spare slot on cable plug in spare power cable.

second ide cable will go to CD and DVD drives, remove the cd drive check the jumper setting. set the jumper on the new drive as per the old one insert cable and power cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…