how to find the windows cd key

howard64 18:57 PM 25 Oct 11

I have taken the hard drive out of a netbook and I have connected it to my main pc in order to find the cd key so that I can reinstall w7 on it. I have downloaded magical jelly beans key finder and used the hive to view the drive. It tells me I do not have the permissions necessary to do this. Can anyone either tell me how to overcome this or point to another free key finder prog. Thanks in advance.

Nontek 19:05 PM 25 Oct 11

Reinstall W7 .... in which case, the Key should be on a sticker on the outside of the computer.

Nontek 19:07 PM 25 Oct 11

PS - I meant to add, on the outside of the original computer of course.

gengiscant 19:10 PM 25 Oct 11

This a great bit of software will even pull a COA number off a problem PC if you plug the hard-drive in to your own rig.

robin_x 19:10 PM 25 Oct 11

WinGuggle may help. I'm not sure these things give you the correct key anyway.

You can backup your existing encrypted key then restore after re-installing.

How to reinstall Windows without reactivate

howard64 19:20 PM 25 Oct 11

the netbook does not have a cd key sticker on it nor does it even have a manufacturers name but it is well specked 2GB ram 320GB disk web cam. When you try and start it attempts to start w7 ultimate it eventually ends with a bsod and memory dump. I have tried produkey but it does not show it and says that w7 can give it problems. I cannot back it up as I cannot get it to run. I would like to be able to edit msconfig on the drive while connected to mine but do not know how to do this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 PM 25 Oct 11

Tried a startup repair?

Put drive back in netbook

Tap F8 as it boots to get into tools select startup repair from the menu.

howard64 20:22 PM 25 Oct 11

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I have tried using startup repair but it fails to correct things

woodchip 23:35 PM 25 Oct 11

My Samsung nc10 Netbook as the Key stuck to the bottom of the Netbook. I put Cellophane over it so it does not get rubbed off

woodchip 23:37 PM 25 Oct 11

PS the one in Regedit is not the same as the one on the Label Windows changes it when you first install windows to a different format Number

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…