how to find which graphics card i should use

sri2001 16:38 10 Jan 03
  sri2001 16:38 10 Jan 03

Hi

my pc has p4 1.8MHzs cpu. It has 64mb shared graphics. I want to install nvidia graphics card. There are 2 types of cards there pci & agp. how do i find which card is suitable for my pc. I don't have any manuals for my system.

thanks

Diemmess 16:41 10 Jan 03

Your computer should have one AGP slot....If it has then use it.

PCI slots are for those without AGP and the CPU then does more work which the AGP can do for itself

DieSse 22:01 10 Jan 03

If you don't have any manuals, then you must look inside for yourself - to see if there is an AGP slot.

Also you could try looking on the manufacturers site for a manual - it will come in very useful.

siarad 22:14 10 Jan 03

Closest to the CPU should be a brown socket, about the same size as the white PCI ones, which is AGP don't confuse it with a smaller riser socket elseware. Your MB probably uses the Intel 845 chipset in which case you can *only* use 1V5 card & not 3V3 which'll damge the MB.

Paranoid Android 22:21 10 Jan 03

AGP slot is dark brown and short, and there will only be one of it (or none) close to the CPU.

PCI slots are white and slightly longer, usually several of them side by side.

You only need to remove one side of the case and look inside.

Marvin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…