how to find and stop a running program

blue_eyes 05:53 09 Apr 03

HELP.....my computer says I have a running program and wont let me defrag my computer with it open but nothing is open how can I find the running program on the computer as my icon keeps flashing as well ...thanks for any help.
Debbie

powerless 07:06 09 Apr 03

click here and close the program.

Or start your computer in safe mode and run defrag from there.

When your computer is starting tap the F8 key and choose SAFE MODE.

Pesala 09:07 09 Apr 03

Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Freeware defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

huzzar 10:24 09 Apr 03

Are we missing the obvious here? Other than the above you could - Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and 'End task' everything except 'Explorer'and 'Systray' also be sure to stop your Screen Saver from coming on.

The best bit of advice tho' was from Powerless - Defrag from Safe mode.

Pesala 11:19 09 Apr 03

Nothing much wrong with Ctrl-Alt Delete, excpet that you have to do it several times to stop all running programs. EnditAll will do it one stroke.

Disk-keeper Lite doens't need to do it. One can continue working while Disk-keeper is running in the background. Windows defragger ties up your PC for forty-five minutes. Disk-keeper takes ten or fifteen minutes, and you can keep working, so it is far superior in my view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…