How to find out what programs are running?

Ms_Dial 16:07 16 Jan 05

Emachines 433i, WindowsME, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD --

I've been having some mild (faulty shutdown and restart) problems with my computer after downloading some games off the Net and a dial-up accelerator from my ISP. I've uninstalled all the games. I tried to do system restore 3x and it said it was unable to each time then I tried running a through scan disk but it kept stopping due to disk rewrite and would tell me to close all running programs I had disabled my accelerator and antivirus (in my taskbar) how do I find out what these other 'running programs' are? And what if it's not evident to turn them off - what then?

AndySD 16:11 16 Jan 05

ry pressing Ctrl/Alt/Delete (all three keys at the same time) once.

barryoneoff.co.uk 16:15 16 Jan 05

by using 'End task' EXCEPT Explorer, and Systray.
Dont forget to turn your screensaver off as well.

Ms_Dial 16:24 16 Jan 05

Sorry but I don't think those are the answers I'm looking for ctrl/alt/delete will just make my computer restart as for 'end task' that only comes up when I'm trying to restart my computer and a program is still busy this is not my question - let me try to be clearer.

When running ScanDisk it says that I need to shut down all running programs but other than programs I can see in the taskbar I don't know what it's talking about! Any experts got any idea?

VoG II 16:28 16 Jan 05

CTRL+ALT+DEL once only will launch Task Manager and you should see which programs are running.

Or restart in Safe Mode click here then scan

Or use Enditall click here

barryoneoff.co.uk 16:29 16 Jan 05

Ctrl/Alt/Delete. This brings up a list of things that are running. You then select them one at a time and press end task.

AndySD 16:35 16 Jan 05

Pressing it twice will shut down the pc once should give you the task manager click here if not try a spyware scan.

Ms_Dial 16:49 16 Jan 05

Thank you all very much for the great help. :o)

Ms_Dial 16:59 16 Jan 05

That enditall link isn't free any longer this one is though. click here it's almost halfway down the page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…