//some 3rd party need geo

How to find 'invisible' folder?

Nosmas 17:04 07 Apr 05

System W98, IE & OE v 6.0, AVG7 (Free) and Sygate Personal Firewall.

My son helped me set up my present system about five years ago, and transferred all my data files from the old system into a new folder named 'Old Computer Drive C' on the new system. Quite some time ago (can't remember when) I decided to delete that folder but to leave it in the Recycle Bin just in case I needed to reclaim one of the files. At a later date I was suddenly aware that the folder no longer showed up in the Recycle Bin. Although puzzled as to what had happened to it I wasn't worried as I didn't think I was likely to need to access it any more.

I have recently installed Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and watching Ad-Aware perform a full system scan I was very surprised to see one of the file paths displayed as 'C:\RECYCLED\Old Computer Drive C\ (followed by various file names)'. Despite looking carefully at the folders tree displayed by Windows Explorer and performing searches for all of the words appearing in the file path I cannot find that folder.

In Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab under Hidden Files the 'radio button' for 'Show all files' is set. Please can anyone suggest any means of locating the 'invisible' folder? It is probably taking up a fair amount of valuable space and I would now like to permanently delete the folder and its contents.

Diemmess 17:24 07 Apr 05

You've done everything I would have done, and I think the references are now just references rather actual lumps of data...... So IF I'm right that leaves only the registry.........and at this point I hesitate to recommend anyone to play with that.

If I were doing it I'd feel middling confident, but not confident to offer a specific method to others. There is suitable software out there, perhaps someone better will take up the thread.

Technotiger 17:24 07 Apr 05

Hi, have you tried a normal Search for it?

just a suggestion.

Cheers.

Technotiger 17:25 07 Apr 05

ps - include in your search 'Hidden files/folders'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 07 Apr 05

File recovery :-
Badcopy Pro click here
file_recovery click here
R_Studio click here
Easyrecovery click here

If the folder and its files have been missing for awhile then it is likely that the aread on the hard drive has been overwritten by other (newer) stuff and they may well be corrupted.

Maybe one of the above programs can recover some of this data.

VCR97 20:05 07 Apr 05

Do you mean RECYCLER? If so open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View. Scroll down (twelve on my XP system) and untick "Hide Protected Operating System Files". Click OK to the warning. Click Apply and OK. Don't forget to reverse this, just in case.

Nosmas 20:24 07 Apr 05

Thanks for your two replies, but please what do you mean by a 'normal' search, and how does one include 'Hidden files/folders'? I have used the search facility accessed from Start > Find, and the Name & Location tab has 'Include subfolders' box checked. The Date tab has 'All Files' selected, and the Advanced tab has 'Of type' set to 'All Files and Folders'. I cannot see any other optional settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/Many thanks. I have got to go out for a while but will investigate your links later.

Keith S
Thanks for your suggestion. My system is W98 not XP. As I stated above, I have set Explorer to show All Files under the heading 'Hidden Files'. There is no mention of hiding protected OS files, and in any case my 'invisible' folder is nothing to do with system files and was created just to hold data files from the old system.

I am very puzzled how Ad-Aware manages to see a reference to this folder (EACH time during four scans) and yet it doesn't show up on searches or visual inspection.

Nosmas 20:32 07 Apr 05

My apologies. Obviously haven't got the right glasses on! In the Advanced settings of Explorer there is a line 'Do not show hidden or system files' but that is NOT selected; I have selected the line below it 'Show all files'

Technotiger 20:43 07 Apr 05

Nosmas - or is that Samson - :-))

sorry, I was assuming WinXP. I am not familiar with '98.

Good luck anyway, Cheers.

Technotiger 20:46 07 Apr 05

Just had another thought - why not try a RegCleaner program, doesn't involve any complicated key-tapping on your part.

Regclean
2005 Highly-Rated Registry Cleaner Fix your Computer - Free Download!
click here

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 07 Apr 05

Technotiger is refering to the item two lines further down from show all files it will be ticked untick Hide protected operating system files.

Recycler should show up now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…