How to find CMOS settings?

steved99 20:27 21 Mar 08

Following a recent crash and system restore I found that the clock had reset to 1/1/2001. Since then this happens intermittently (sometimes the clock is just "slow").

Having searched the forums I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace my CMOS battery. However, the advice seems to be to make a note of the CMOS settings before removing the old battery, but I can't seem to find how to get into the relevant screen to write the info. down (or is there a way of saving it to disk?).

Also, could this have been what caused the crash in the first place?

setecio 20:32 21 Mar 08

The CMOS just stores changes to the default BIOS settings, so if your BIOS uses default settings (nothing out of the ordinary) then it should be OK just to change the battery as it will just return to default settings which is probably is already.

octal 20:35 21 Mar 08

Does this help? click here

I have never bothered with that, I've just gone into it and set everything up again after replacing the battery.

Legolas 20:36 21 Mar 08

I have removed the CMOS battery on many occasions in various systems and for various reasons and never made a note of any settings and never had any adverse reaction.

My advice is to go ahead and change the CMOS battery.

steved99 21:03 21 Mar 08

I'm a bit of a chicken! I'll get myself a new battery and see if I'm brave enough to delve into the innards of the PC.

Thanks

setecio 21:11 21 Mar 08

Well you're right to be cautious. When you go for it, don't touch the circuitry as static an fry it !

Google how to discharge static (eg touch a radiator) and avoid frying the motherboard.

harps1h 21:13 21 Mar 08

it is no problem, just release the catch to one side and the battery clicks out, then just gently push the new battery into the holde. job done!

to get the settings you only have to press del when booting and you will enter the bois menu where all the cmos settings are displayed nad can be altered to you tastes

harps1h 21:25 21 Mar 08

glad i dont type for a living LOL!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 21 Mar 08

Switch off and unplug from mains

Tough a radiator to ground yourself before removing PC cover.

you will then be safe changing the battery, usually a CR2032 but check first, approx 2.99 for two from Wilkinsons stores.

steved99 11:40 24 Mar 08

Over the weekend the PC again refused to start up several times. Thought I would have to go through the system restore process again until my son turned it on and it started fine!! Would a dodgy CMOS battery cause a PC to be unreliable and intermittent like this or is my PC about to die completely? Am I wasting my time trying to fix it with a new CMOS battery?

skidzy 13:28 24 Mar 08

Steve if your clock keeps resetting its a classic sign of a cmos battery failing,and would it cause a system to be unreliable...yes as this retains the bios default settings.

For what it costs,replace the battery...its a cheap way to start the elimination process....if indeed the cmos battery is at fault here.

You should also consider the psu = power supply unit,this maybe failing also but first replace the cmos battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac