how to find cd key on non booting xp hdd

howard64 14:20 02 Jul 09

I am trying to fix a non booting xp home sp3 on an oldish pc for a friend who is out of the country for a while. When running the xp cd and going for the repair option I do not have the cd key. Does anyone know how to find the windows xp key from a drive not actually running the os? I can read the disk with it connected to my pc but do not know a way of getting the key from the non booting drive. Thanks in advance.

tullie 14:22 02 Jul 09

The only key you can legally use,i would imagine,is on the PC case,if its a different version,you cant use it.

howard64 14:30 02 Jul 09

no sticker on case but I am assured the version on the drive is legitimate - I need to find it to fix the pc.

woodchip 14:37 02 Jul 09

Does it ask for a key when you run Repair?

howard64 14:42 02 Jul 09

yes - it is almost like a complete new installation except it does not destroy data or lose installed progs - much quicker than clean install but cd key is requred. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that you could download a linux prog that can read the windows key.

woodchip 14:44 02 Jul 09

Will it not Start in Safe Mode the run System Restore

Terry Brown 14:53 02 Jul 09

Would this link help you ?
click here

or you could try a more general link
click here=

Terry

howard64 17:40 02 Jul 09

I have tried everyway I can think of with no success.

howard64 18:32 02 Jul 09

thanks all now got it - downloaded magical jelly beans to my main pc with non working drive attached - loaded hive - pointed to non booting drive and it gave me the windows cd key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…