How to find all pics+videos on laptop to back up?

buel 08:00 25 Jul 10

Hello, im trying to back up all the pictures, videos and Word docs on my friend's laptop to give him incase his laptop goes bang as it is very old, please can anyone tell me if i just copy and paste 'Documents and settings' folder to my external hard drive and then burn them to a DVD or two, will that incorporate them all? Previously i used the xp search facility and firstly searched for all images but there was just too many to copy and paste in one go! I hope i have explained myself sufficiently!

Taff™ 09:01 25 Jul 10

If this is an XP machine as you refer to copying the Documents and Settings folder will include a lot of data that you possibly don`t need. (Temp files for instance)

Providing your friend has stored all his data in default locations for XP you`d probably be better off just copying the My Documents folder which would include My Pictures, My Videos, My Music etc.

Your previous method of searching for "All images" would include every image on the computer, not just the users images but every image associated with programs, internet usage and so on.

If your friend uses Outlook Express you might want to also back up his mail folders which by default are hidden.

buel 09:49 25 Jul 10

Thank you for that, that is very much appreciated! Yes i think they are in the default locations so i will check My Documents! Excellent advice!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5