How Fast Can BT Broadband Download/Upload?

iamlee 13:25 24 Feb 03

If Anyone Here Is On BT Broadband (£27/£28) Package Please Reply Telling Me How Fast It Can Download And Upload, Also Does Uploading Slow Downloads?? Please Reply, i'd appreciate it very much, thanks again
Lee

jazzypop 14:10 24 Feb 03

Maximum 512Kb/s downstream, 256Kb/s upstream.

All domestic UK ADSL customers have the same speed limitations, as ultimately they are all going through the same BT connections with the same limitations applied.

Uploading and downloading simultaneously will slow the above speeds, but nearly as much as general network traffic, contention ratios etc.

Just as with dialup, the speed varies throughout the day.

jazzypop 14:11 24 Feb 03

"but nearly as much" should read " but not nearly as much"

-pops- 14:12 24 Feb 03

If you want to check the speed you are getting, click here and do the tests as described.

Brian

powerless 14:16 24 Feb 03

If you are downloading at 60KB/s - Be happy.

If you are are uploading at 25KB/s - Be happy.

If you are downloading very large files best to do it early in the morning. Thats when the Amercians are dreaming about bandwidth...

If you notice a sudden drop in downlaod and upload speeds...Put it down to a busy period when theres lots of people accessing the internet.

Contentention Ratio shouldnt be an issue (yet). However if 50 people on your street all have ADSL and are downlaoding large files - Consider moving ;-)

iamlee 14:19 24 Feb 03

Hey People, Thanks Alot.....:) i have one more question, bt is supplying me with the modem and microfilters.... which modem will they be providing me with, if someone has a link to show me it please post it, thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Lee

jazzypop 14:23 24 Feb 03
  iamlee 14:29 24 Feb 03

thanks m8

anchor 15:24 24 Feb 03

Further to the post by Powerless, my typical download speed with Pipex ADSL is 60k. I upload regularly, (usually via MS messenger to friends), at a steady 30k.

As he said, it is usually better to download large files from the USA, in the morning.

bx2000 17:10 24 Feb 03

Reading all this with interest as I am going B/B with BT this coming Friday. jazzypop's lead was very informative and warned about old wiring etc. I'm glad that new line is being fitted for my B/B connection. Regards G.

accord 17:23 24 Feb 03

click here to find out what speeds you are getting, im on NTL 600 BB and average 75KB/s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…