How far cab a wireless network be?

Martin-303092 21:57 02 Jul 04

I'm thinking of installing a wireless network for my desktop and two laptops to take advantage of broadband. Would it be possible to include my parents in this who live about 100yds away in the next street or is that pushing it?

Gaz 25 22:16 02 Jul 04

Pushing it...

But if you get one of these you will be fine:

click here

Agent Smith 22:32 02 Jul 04

Wireless 11Mbps Networking

Quick Spec: 11 Mbps, 3 non-overlapping channels, up to 32 wireless users per Access Point / Wireless Router, 2.4 GHz.

Wireless 802.11b Networking
Wi-Fi, or Wireless Fidelity, is freedom: it allows you to connect to the Internet from your couch at home, a bed in a hotel room or a conference room at work without wires. How? Wi-Fi is a wireless technology like a mobile phone. Wi-Fi enabled computers send and receive data indoors and out; anywhere within the range of a wireless access point / wireless router. And the best thing of all, it's fast. In fact, it's several times faster than the fastest broadband connection.

802.11b products have been on the market for three years, and there are more than 30 million devices in use. With an average actual throughput of about 4.5 Mbps, 802.11b is fast enough for most network applications and file transfers. A very mature solution, 802.11b features many compelling advantages over other wireless standards.

Security
The Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) algorithm is used to protect 802.11b networks from unauthorized users and eavesdropping on transmitted data. WEP, which supports 64-, and 128-bit encryption, is secure enough for most homes and businesses when properly configured.

Benefits
(1) Moderate performance: 802.11b is ideal for either customers who's main goal is to access their broadband connection wirelessly or used in standard home / office environments, such as file and print sharing,or other low-bandwidth applications such as e-mail.

(2) Most affordable: In most situations, 802.11b products are the lowest price points for client adapters, routers and access points (APs)

(3) Very compatible: Wi-Fi certification assures interoperability between equipment from different vendors.

(4) Excellent range: Up to several 100 meters in an open environment. Average Indoor environment is approximately 20m radius.

(5) Good growth path: Interoperates with dual-band and future 802.11 protocols such as 802.11g

Got this from click here= Somewhere in one of the links on this site I read that in open ground with a 54g connection 1500 feet was achievable but seems an awful long way to me.

Martin-303092 23:28 02 Jul 04

Hmmm... the houses aren't in sight of each other so looks like I may not be able to do it. At least not affordably anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…