How easy is it to install a new CD writer?

Dipso 22:26 15 Nov 03

Is it just a case of replacing the existing drive with the new one? I have a CD/DVD combo at present and only want a CD writer as replacement. Will I need a Windows disc as I don't currently have one, OS was preinstalled by retailer and I didn't take up there offer of a restore disc? Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement drive and where to look?

TommyRed 22:43 15 Nov 03

I fitted one in a slot where nothing had been before, wasn't much to it other than changing jumpers over to make a slave and fitting, in my case, a new IDE cable. Had to use my Son for a few connections due to my hands being to big, previously all I'd fitted was extra RAM. HTH TR

Tim1964 23:45 15 Nov 03

If you are replacing an existing drive, then just fit the new one in place (with the PC turned off of course) and you will find the boot up sequence (black screen/white writng) will show the new drive as it boots up. In fact when I did the same it took longer to unscrew the case than to fit the drive.

Good luck.

Diodorus Siculus 23:48 15 Nov 03

Just be sure to uninstall nero's InCD before removing the old drive (if you use Nero) - it can cause incompatibilites if you leave it and try to write to a CD-RW afterwards with the new one.

Dipso 23:49 15 Nov 03

Thanks for that. Just have to decide which one to go for now!

Tim1964 23:51 15 Nov 03

Don't forget the 'geen tick' nag, nag. ;-)

Tim1964 23:52 15 Nov 03

Green of course.

Dipso 23:52 15 Nov 03

Thanks for the advice. I have Easy CD Creator installed at the moment but I will uninstall before adding the new drive and software as I've read that it's not a good idea to have 2 types of burning software installed at the same time.

Giggle n' Bits 23:52 15 Nov 03

from click here & comes with Nero Express, nice drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5