How easy is it to fit my upgrades?

PRESTERJOHN 13:47 25 Jan 05

My partner bought me some PC upgrades for Christmas but they have nothing in the way of fitting instructions with them.

My system is a HP Pavillion 422uk its spec is
1.4 processor
40gb HD
CD-writer
256mb ram

She has bought me
80gb hd
256mb mem chip
and a DVD int player

I have fitted a memory chip in the past but that is all, so I am nervous about attempting this job. I do know a bloke who sells second hand systems who has offered to do the lot + plus test the system for £25.00. What do you guys suggest I do?

ACOLYTE 13:54 25 Jan 05

£25 isnt bad for fitting and testing but you could do it yourself fairly easily and save the cash,if you wont to keep the other hard drive
click here may help,also click here

as you have donr the memory fitting before i left this out,remember to earth yourself before you go in the pc.

jack 13:58 25 Jan 05

If your are nervous about the job - get it done -
if it goes pear shapes then its his fault.
I dont know about HP machines, some large scale makers do strange things to them to make life difficult for essentially simple jobs, like fitting another drive.

Fitting the a drive is usually a question of taking out a bay blanking plate, sliding the drive in tighening some screws, connectinmg the spare ribbin connector, and power and boot up.
But massp roduced machine can suddenly not have spare connectors for data or power for example.

Yeah if you are unwilling to poke - get it done.

ventanas 14:00 25 Jan 05

Fitting these is very easy, and an identicle procedure for both. Assuming you already have an optical drive, and your new one is a dvd-rom (not a re-writer) you should adjust the jumpers on each drive so they are set to slave. There should be a diagram on each drive showing the correct jumper position.

After doing this open the box, slide in the dvd and fix it with suitable screws. Locate the slave IDE cable (it will be an offshoot to the one already connected to the existing opticle drive) and plug it in to the back of the drive, making sure the lug in the middle is the right way up. Locate a spare power supply lead and plug this in also.

Do exactly the same with the hard drive, the only difference is that this drive rests in a cradle instead of a slot. Sometimes these cradles have to be removed completely to gain access to both sides to secure the drive, but this should not be a problem.
Once installed you will need to format it. Right click My computer and choose Manage, and on the left hand side, Disc management. The new drive should be visible, just right click on it and choose Format, then follow the simple on screen instructions.

Job done.

961 14:08 25 Jan 05

£25 is a good price. If you know him and he has a good reputation why not let him do it

Even better, why not ask if you can watch?

PRESTERJOHN 16:02 25 Jan 05

Thanks for the info guys. Mentioning jumpers and stuff reminded me how I had to get a mate to help me out when I tried to fit a CD rewriter a few years ago. As none of you think £25.00 is a rip off price and as the guy says he will run tests on it to make sure everything is working ok before he hands it back to me I think I will bite the bullet use him and save myself the stress.

ventanas 16:14 25 Jan 05

The price is very reasonable as it will be about half an hours work, but try to follow the advice of 961 and watch what goes on. There is no better way to learn.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 25 Jan 05

Build your own PC
Videos click here
Info click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…