How easy is it to change the memory timing

Audio~~Chip 16:43 25 Sep 09

I am thinkig of getting the ballistix crucial memory for a Asus P5QL Pro motherobard and the memory states if its has 4-4-4 it will defualt to DDRII 667 and not stay as DDRII 800MHz. The manual says this can be adjusted by altering the memory timings, which is something I have never done.

Is it easy to do in the BIOS, I had a look at the screen shots in the BIOS and it shows 3 rows of figures like x-x-x-x-x but with numbers in where there is a x

Graphicool1 16:54 25 Sep 09
  Terry Brown 17:09 25 Sep 09

If you have a Nvidia graphic card, you can use Ntune, which will do the job for you and set your computer to the highest 'Safe' settings.
Terry

Audio~~Chip 18:10 25 Sep 09

Terry Brown Its a new build around a ATI HD4870, I spoke to crucial earlier and they said if it causes me problems then I can refund within 30days so I may give it ago. Thanks Graphicool1 & Terry Brown

dan11 18:39 25 Sep 09

you just open the Dram Frequency option
click here

You then take it from Auto and set it to [ DDR2 800Mhz ]
click here

F10 to save and quit.

The eprom chip on the ram should give you the correct timings but if it doesn't you can go and manually change them in the bios.

Audio~~Chip 18:52 25 Sep 09

do you happen to own one of the Asus P5Q range boards. If you do, which is the better in your opinion Asus P5QL Pro (P43) or P5Q Pro (P45) don't need raid, don't need Crossfire & not wanting any major overclocling like gamers do. I like the cooler on the P5Q Pro board.

dan11 19:16 25 Sep 09

"don't need raid, don't need Crossfire & not wanting any major overclocling like gamers do"

then the major difference is that the P45 supports firewire and has a port in the I/O. It also supports a natural 1600fsb while the P43 has to be overclocked to reach that. Worth thinking about if you ever decide to go to 1600Mhz. The P45 is certainly a gamers board with all of it over clocking ability

Audio~~Chip 19:28 25 Sep 09

I was comming to that conclusion, Firewire is a little dead nowadays and I will replacing the machine in 3yrs with the next gen of Sockets which ever is the leading one.

Re Ballistix, there is the risk of BSOD,s which I don't need as its not a game machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac