How easy to fit a DVD RW

nick1256 18:31 05 Oct 04

I was initially thinking about up gradeing my old DVD ROM drive to a CD RW. Then I thought I might as well go the whole hog and make it a DVD RW. Is this a straight forward DIY job that I can do myself?
Will there be any problems with this up grade running Win 98? or should I stick to the CD RW as I currently have no need for the DVD RW capabilities at the moment.

terryr48 18:35 05 Oct 04

I recently upgraded my dvd rom with a dvdrw without any probs apart from I didn't connect the jumpers properly this was soon sorted with a post to the helproom forum so should you have any probs they will easily be sorted on here.

Noelg23 18:35 05 Oct 04

no..its as simple as taking out the old drive and just replacing it with the new one...but what would be better would be to keep the old DVD drive and get a DVD writer (better in the long run) and just install that and away you go...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 05 Oct 04

If you cange DVD Rom to CD RW you will not beable to play DVDs

If you wish to play CDs DVDs and write CDs then fit a DVD RW.

1. switch off pc

2. remove side panel

3. remove - power cable / ide ribbon cable /audio cable (if fitted)

4. unscrew mouting screws (4) slide out from front

5. slide new DVD in place refit screws.

6. refit power cable ide ribbon cable (note red stripe next to power cable) and audiocable

7. refit side cover

8. reboot PC

9. load software and drivers that come with DVD RW

spuds 19:25 05 Oct 04
  THE TERMINATOR 19:26 05 Oct 04

I agree with Noelg23, add a DVD writer as an additional drive. All you need to do is remove the case, locate your spare drive port, fit the drive, plug the IDE cable into the drive and motherboard, plug in the power socket and away you go.

R4 19:41 05 Oct 04

Make sure you have the correct jumper setting on the new unit:- Master or Slave depending on your configuiration

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…