How to Download Safely Please

Happy1 22:29 26 Apr 03

Hi all I have been having probs with serif DrawPlus 7 and have been offered a newer programme to rectify prob. I need to download whole programme. I have XP Pro. with Firewall etc. But have NEVER downloaded prog. before. Need advice in easy to understand way please as getting past my sellby date. I would also like to scan for viruses in download. Any advice would be appreciated.

canard 22:34 26 Apr 03

Choose the save to disc option when it comes up and save to the new folder you have got ready for it. When you have completed the download scan with your [freshly updated] antivirus. After which installation should be OK.

powerless 22:37 26 Apr 03

Well you are actually downloading each time you visit a website. You are downloading the page so there is no difference to downloading a program except that the program is much, much larger in size.

Also you may find that visiting websites is a little slower whilst downloading a whole program at the sametime.

Anyay if you have broadband then it should not be a problem. When you click the downlaod link just choose "Save" and choose where you want the file to be downlaoded to and then when it is finished run a virus scan on it. Then you can click it and enjoy the program.

If you are on a 56K connection and expect the download to take longer than 2 hours then above will not work as you would have to start the download again. You need a download manager which allow you to resume the download. click here for one!

Antivirus will have auto protect so if it detects anything suspicious it will inform you. click here for a free virus scanner.

powerless 22:39 26 Apr 03

O before A - I'll remember that ;-)

Happy1 22:39 26 Apr 03

Sorry for sounding stupid but where do I create Folder for programme and what do I call it. Sorry for sounding a bit feeble. Many thanks

Happy1 22:43 26 Apr 03

Thanks for that link I use 56k modem.

canard 22:46 26 Apr 03

Happy put it where you will- in my docs or make a mydownloads file in windows explorer. Everyone says that when you've installed your app to delete the download. But I find it better to keep it so it can be reinstalled if you have uninstalled it or if you find an update disagrees with your OS.

woodchip 22:48 26 Apr 03

Before you start to download you need a download manager like Dap. So if your modem stop in its track's you will be able to restart the download where you left of.

Happy1 22:55 26 Apr 03

Many thanks for your help. Armed with info. I will give it a whirl tomorrow when Ive had my beauty sleep.Will get back to you if I have major probs.

monkeyshine 22:56 26 Apr 03

or just download it to Desktop then you can stick it wherever you like,later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…