How to download all pages from a site?

woody 09:32 12 May 04

Some time ago i recall seeing a program which could download all pages from a site without "calling" each page individually .
Is there such a program available?
For example i would type in the home or index page and it would download all connected pages.

Taran 10:34 12 May 04

If it's your own site then you can use an FTP program.

There are several available, some free, some not.

If you go to Download.com click here and type ftp in the search box it will return more results than you'll know what to do with.

WS_FTP LE 6.0, Leech FTP 1.3 or CoffeeCup Free FTP 3.0 would be my choice.

Obviously you will need your FTP username and password to access the web host account.

If you mean you want to be able to import other peoples web sites I'm not prepared to discuss that.

pj123 14:06 12 May 04

Put in to My Postings for future use.

woody 18:04 12 May 04

I only want to download pages which are available to download one at a time but to do it all at once.
I did not know this would be against the rules/law.
Why is it?
I do not want to get pages which are not available to the public.
What does pj123 mean?

Forum Editor 18:29 12 May 04

when you view a page in Internet Explorer you have already downloaded it - that's how a web browser works. View each page on a site and you've downloaded the whole site - it will be there in your temporary internet files folder. I you want to save a page - or a whole site - you can do that too, just go to 'tools/save as' in your browser toolbar and save to any location on your hard drive.

If by 'download' you mean that you want to import an entire web site onto your hard drive - complete with all the images and directory structure - then you'll need to use an FTP program and you'll need the username/password combination for the server - as Taran has already explained.

I'm struggling to understand what the problem is .....perhaps if you provide a little more information one of us can help more specifically.

Taran 18:46 12 May 04

The way I'm reading this is that you want to be able to save or import an entire website. You don't say whether the site is yours or not.

If the site belongs to you then FTP, as I mentioned, will allow you to pull all the pages, images and other elements of your site from the web onto your own computer.

Downloading a copy of somebody elses site is not strictly cricket though.

I mean, if I spent ages designing a nice site (I wish) the last thing I'd want is for someone to come along and copy it to their own PC.

Unfortunately there's a lot of this about, where people import and amend a website deigned by someone else then re-publish it as their own. I'm not saying that this is what you want to do but unless the site belongs to you, you shouldn't really be thinking of pulling copies in to your own PC.

As Forum Editor says, if you have a specific problem then by all means ask.

woody 19:19 12 May 04

I do not want to do anything illegal.
I am not interested in copying or using someones site.
I thought i was asking quite an Innocent question.
I must be thick as i still can not see anything wrong when i can download say six individual pages - click download - click down load etc - but if there was a way of downloading all the links on a page it is illegal.
I will look at all my old CD's i know i had a legal program which did as i asked (i think it was sold as an accelerator) while you looked at a page it downloaded other links automatically.
I apologies for being too honest to understand what i have done wrong.

Taran 19:30 12 May 04

I suspect that you haven't done anything wrong. I suspect that there is a misunderstanding here about what it is you want to do.

Are you saying you would like a program that downloads pages linked to the one you are looking at so that when you click the link the page loads faster ?

If so, you are talking about a download accelerator and there are lots to choose from and there are no problems using them.

Try the downloads section of this site.

Forum Editor 19:30 12 May 04

and neither are we suggesting that you have, so stop getting twitchy - as far as I can see nobody's mentioned the word 'illegal' except you.

We're all still a bit at sea with your use of the word 'download', and that's why we've been a little mystified. Now that you've explained more clearly it's a simple matter to point you in the right direction - just

click here

woody 01:37 13 May 04

Thank you for the link.
After 13 years in retirement my communication skills are not what they were.
You have a great site(s) and i have enjoyed looking at it and in a small way being part of it.
The "Star" project was particularly interesting to be part off.
But now i think it is time to "hang up my mouse".

Forum Editor 07:07 13 May 04

Having taken part in our Star Office project you might want to be considered for other similar trials. We've still got plenty to offer, so I hope we'll see you in the forum frequently. Your communication skills seem fine to me, and if I can still take part in online forums 13 years after retirement I shall consider myself very fortunate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…