how does spam find your email address?

simongy 21:22 19 Aug 03

I signed on to a free email service; before I even had the chance to tell friends etc about my new email address I started to get lots of junk mail: usually from odd sounding addresses regarding xxxx and how big is your $$$$ and how to make it bigger. How is this possible? Does your email address get passed on without your permission!!

powerless 21:25 19 Aug 03

It's a lucky guess...

The spammer does not know that the email address is valid.

"Does your email address get passed on without your permission!!" - Me thinks that would be illegal if that happend.

Terrahawk 21:29 19 Aug 03
  krypt1c 21:30 19 Aug 03

It depends. Unless you very carefully read the terms & conditions you may default to yes to allowing your address to be passed on. If you choose the 'wrong' email address eg [email protected]. Spammers use progs to send emails to common addresses. They also use 'wild cards' eg [email protected] Don't get paranoid about it. If it's an on-line account just stop using it and set up another one. If it's an ISP account get yourself some filtering software. There's loads of free ones. Just enter spam filters freeware in google.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…