How does a OEM differ?

billy 20:51 21 Sep 03

I've seen a NEC DVD writer drive advertised (DVD+R/RW 4x Int IDE OEM ) and then seen the sameretailler advertise the same drive without the OEM suffix and it costs more. Anyone got an idea of what the difference might mean?

DieSse 21:01 21 Sep 03

OEM devices are meant for system builders. They may be different specifications, they may lack software, they may lack manuals, they may be differently packaged, they may have a different warranty, and they may have different support entitlement.

And then again they may not - not all OEM products have the same differences to retail.

So all you can do in that particular case is to check with the supplier.

kinger 21:06 21 Sep 03

I asked DABS what was the difference between their OEM version of a DVD recorder and the retail version.

They replied that they couldn't help me with such a problem unless I had actually purchased it, then they could answer my query.

So I'm glad that I came across your reply here.

Just how Dabs survive I don't know but they keep at it (smile)

JIM 21:45 21 Sep 03

On there web site if you click on the FAQ There is quite a lot of info,including below.Perhaps the staff or one of them was having a bad day.

What do OEM and RP mean?
Article ref. S1316----------30 April 2003
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. RP means Retail Packaged. Don't worry about the precise meaning. In terms of dabs.com products, if you buy an item as OEM, (which is always cheaper) it means you will get the product in a plain box, usually without 'a free game' or other extras, and sometimes (although not always) without a manual. Any essential items such as a driver CD are always included.

Retail packaged items on the other hand come in a nice illustrated box, with manual, software extras and so on, but you pay more.

Basically, the OEM products are primarily designed for PC system builders, to include in their PCs, so therefore packaging and installation instructions are not vital, because the PC company, not you, will be installing it.

However, because of the price differential, dabs.com sells as much OEM hardware as retail hardware, and to be honest, we rarely get any problems. This is because, first of all, for a seasoned user, installation of a hard disk, video card or processor is really not very difficult, and secondly because any 'missing' software can usually be downloaded free of charge from the manufacturer Web site.

If price comparing, and we have both flavours of product on offer, and our competitor only has one price, it will normally be the OEM version. This is normal practice in the upgrade component industry but you should be aware of it.

billy 18:02 23 Sep 03

Thanks for the good advice. A OEM looks worth the savings.

Murray 18:14 23 Sep 03

do you work for Dabs?, the way you worded your reply made me curious

JIM 18:26 23 Sep 03

No is the answer :) all i did was copy the FAQ list and paste for billy's information with a little addition to assist in having answers that were not forth comming via the phone.Surprising what their staff may not know or want to relay to customers via a phone call.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…