How does my site look?

Red Devil 19:05 09 Oct 05

OK, I've done some work on my latest website design and would welcome some opinions on how it looks.

The site can be found click here.

The forum still needs some work doing on it but I'm waiting for some feedback on the forum program's support forum before I can make any changes.

Cheers.

PurplePenny 19:40 09 Oct 05

There was some really weird behaviour going on with the links in Opera 8.5. I'm not sure that I can really describe it.

Some didn't work at first, they didn't even appear to *be* links, no hover colour change, no little hand cursor but after a while they suddenly became live. Some started to work if I scrolled the page all the way to the bottom. Some only worked provivded the page was right at the top, scrolling down either stopped the links being links or only the couple at the top (of those still on screen) were links.

Worked just fine in Firefox. Weird.

Other than that the site looks really nice. Doesn't have quite the same sinister air as your Sheppey Pirates site but I suppose that you want it to be a bit friendlier ;-)

You should run the colour scheme through a colour-blindness checker -- brown on cream may not have enough contrast. Personally I like it, very easy on the eye and the appearence of a faded parchment is appropriate to the subject; but it would be best to check it anyway.

Red Devil 20:08 09 Oct 05

I can't understand why you would get a problem with the links as Opera was one of the browsers I tested the page in.

I always test all my pages in IE, Opera, Netscape and Firefox before putting them on the net after the problems I had with a previous site and tables set to supposedly transparent borders with all browsers apart from IE.

It *might* have something to do with the fact that I used Flash .swf files for each of the menu items but I did test it before publishing to make sure they functioned.

Anyway, glad you liked the site.

As for the contrast, I thought that dark brown on cream would be a high enough contrast for people with vision difficulties while still having the look and feel that I wanted.

The background is the bit I'm most pleased with. It's a stylised old style compass which I felt fitted in well with the Four Winds theme of the site.

And the Sheppey Pirates site is supposed to be dark and sinister. Us Sheppey Pirates are a scary bunch of sea dogs, cut-throats and other assorted ne'er-do-wells I'll have you know!!!!! ;)

mco 20:22 09 Oct 05

what's the link to that one red devil? I feel a bit cut throat and ne-er do well myself tonight! (see other thread!)

Red Devil 20:30 09 Oct 05

The site is click here.

It's still under construction as we're a little short on content.

I've got to sit down with the captain of our merry little band of cut-thraots and decide what we want to put up on our site to promote ourselves.

Forum Editor 20:30 09 Oct 05

it will create minor problems for lots of people who may not have the Flash player plugin installed in say, Firefox. It doesn't come by default, and lots of visitors will be deterred when they see little jigsaw pieces instead of buttons - and when Firefox tells them they must install a download before they can proceed.

My advice is to ditch the Flash buttons and use gifs.

Red Devil 20:34 09 Oct 05

I used Flash as I have no idea to do what I wanted with gifs.

A friend of mine taught me how to do it with Flash text so I used that method.

If there's a better and more accessible method of doing it and a guide as to how then I'm more than willing to listen! ;)

Taran 21:52 09 Oct 05

You could have created such a simple menu by using CSS and straight HTML or XHTML.

Try this for a very, very simple example:

<html>
<head>
<title>Rollover Links</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body,td,th {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: small;
color: #333333;
}
body {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
a {
font-size: medium;
color: #000066;
}
a:link {
text-decoration: none;
font-style:italic;
}
a:visited {
color: #666666;
}
a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
color: #CC3300;
}
a:active {
color: #000066;
}
-->
</style>
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>

Paste it into a new HTML file and call it rollover.html or rollover.htm or anything similar.

Preview it in your browser after you add a couple of test hyperlinks into it.

Quick to load, the links change colour when the mouse rolls over them and it's accessible code without Flash anywhere in site.

Flash is completely wasted on something as simple as a rollover menu and completely inappropriate for accessibility reasons.

scoops 23:05 18 Oct 05

Very simple and clean looking.

My one comment would be that the font is a little large. It's a bit "Noddy said to Big Ears..."

ade.h 18:48 19 Oct 05

Agree regarding the Flash links. Those of us who use Flashblock have to click numerous times before we even know what's there. Regarding rollovers; does your webdesign software not create rollover effects for you? Me, I like an easy life as much as possible.

Red Devil 19:35 19 Oct 05

I use Dreamweaver. I used flash text as a mate of mine showed me how to do what I wanted that way and I didn't know of another way to do it.

I'll look at changing it just as soon as I work out how!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…