How does a dummy install a DVD writer?

Loo 11:28 16 Aug 04

Thanks for the warning about DVD's being supplied without cables etc. In my case this was too late. So can someone tell me what I need to do to get the **** thing working?
I've replaced the CD drive with the DVD. The PC knows it's there. It just won't connect. Do I need software? I know i'll need it to burn.
I also want to install the CD as slave. What cables, etc. will I need? There appear to be spare power leads.
Please keep replies simple, I'm an idiot.

cherria 11:43 16 Aug 04

Starting simple.

What operating system are you using?

You say the PC knows its there, it just won't connect. What do you mean. Do you mean that you can see the DVD drive in my computer but can't write to the drive?

On the installing the CR ROM as a slave. On the cable you connected to the DVD writer, there should have been another connector, you can connect this to the CD-ROM, and connect one of the spare power connectors and that is pretty much it once you have located the drive in a spare drive bay.

xania 11:46 16 Aug 04

If the PC knows that its there, then you have communication. If you now want to put you CD back as a slave, you'll need to have a cable with two connections - not one. If your current cable has 2 connections OK - if not, you'll have to get one. Take the opportunity to get one of the narrow cable ones rather than the old ribbon type, and use this to connect - and test - the DVD before you attempt adding the CD.

Now, you need to convert the CD from master to slave - there are jumpers next to the connectors - and the CD should show you on the casing what to set (also if you still have the manual...).

The CD drivers will allow the DVD to operate as a CD reader, but for more, you will need DVD software. You should have received a CD with your new player, and this will have all you need, including an electronic manual. SUggest you browse the CD and see what you have, and then install one at a time each peice of software and play with it.

However, you will need software and, presumably none c

SEASHANTY 11:55 16 Aug 04

This website click here and meander down to Tutorials on the left "Installing a front loading drive".

spuds 20:56 16 Aug 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…