How does Device Manager work?

Saznat 11:02 21 Apr 05

II have an Extigy sound card installed on my PC which is running XP Pro with SP2. If the extigy is not powered up, it doesn't appear in device manager. Great!

I want to write some VB code to interrogate whether this device is listed in device manager and therefore active. I can find the device itself defined in the registry, but I cannot find any entry that is created or deleted depending on whether Extigy is or is not connected.

Can anyone tell me, how device manger retrieves information about active devices and thus where I can access this information.

Thanks in advance

timeteam2004 12:54 21 Apr 05
  Saznat 17:56 21 Apr 05

Thanks.

I've already found that particular item. My problems is not how to use Device Manager, It's How it populates its list of current devices. Once I know where that information is stored, I hope to interrogate it using VBS

timeteam2004 18:32 21 Apr 05

Say for example Device Manager is empty, you would do the following to re-populate it. This may give you some pointers.

Go the Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Scroll down to Plug and Play
Service and stop and restart it. Once done the Device Manager will populate
again.

To extract: Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in the command below: (Substitute
C and D accordingly).

C:\>extract d:\i386\devmgmt.ms_ c:\windows\system32
\devmgmt.msc

timeteam2004 18:33 21 Apr 05

Also I forgot to add you can look in C:\Windows and find the setupapi.log file. This contains user info and hardware/Driver info.

Saznat 09:34 25 Apr 05

Thanks for that. I'll have to think about how I can use it. Once I've done that I'll post any result back here

Saznat 18:38 26 Apr 05

Found the entries I was after in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses
Problem solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced