How do you....Format a hard disk..move partition ?

Jonah1000 19:34 25 Apr 03

Can anyone tell me why someone moves a partition..How do you format the disk..is it for to save a backup on...if so how do you save something on it...if the pc crashes is the partition gone...is your backup saved....Can someone point me in the right direction..I have learnt alot from this site over the last while but there's a lot more to learn i think. Questions Questions, I know but thanks for the help.

Jonah1000 (novice)

Rayuk 20:00 25 Apr 03

Main reasons for partitioning your hard drive is so you can keep data/music/photos/video editing apart from your os ,then if your os goes haywire you can reformat and reinstal it and all your data will be safe.
Many also have their programs/swap file on a seperate partion as well.
If you are starting from scratch you can use fdisk to partition and format/with WinXP you can do it as part of the os installation.
To alter or remove partitions without losing data you would have to use a 3rd party software utility [like Partition Magic] to achieve this

Rayuk 20:03 25 Apr 03

Have a look here under Formatting and partitioning may help you out
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…