How do you use this site (e mail tracking?)

ian-inhome 08:58 14 Oct 06

My freeserve e mail address has been spammed. I receive about 10 returned / undelivered e mails each day which I have NOT sent, I complained to Orange who now own freeserve and they sent me a link to this e mail tracking page, click here but I don’t know how to use it. I use outlook so I have clicked on options on an unopened e mail and tried using the details given. But I don’t understand what to look for then what to do about it.

ian-inhome 18:28 14 Oct 06

>

Fingees 19:07 14 Oct 06

I would personally just erase the stuff, and eventually it will stop.

Any sort of reply even by tracking, only confirms your email address.

make sure you have good spyware installed, like Ad aware, and run a cleaner program occasionally like c cleaner.

Both free.

It will stop your address form being sent out to all en sundry

Best wishes

ian-inhome 19:16 14 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply, the machine has been tested by various spyware / virus programs and i am 99% certain they do not come from my machine. E mails are being "returned" to me from various parts of the world I.e in various languages and on various subject titles.
none of these are known to me or in my address book

spuds 19:24 14 Oct 06

In all probability there maybe nothing that you can do about it, except never open the spam email, as this will give the spammer information that you are active.

Check your email address, so see if it gives your correct details, and not something very similar. This is normally a dead giveaway, that a spammer is trying to locate an active connection.

If you see the .com/.net of the sender, then you could try the link provided by orange top, 2nd blue box Spam Database Look-up, ans see if that gives you any information.

The other thing that you could try, is MailWasher or K9.

palinka 19:37 14 Oct 06

Ignore it; it will stop eventualy (until it happens again) but as Fingees & spuds say, never reply and if possible avoid opening the email. Using Mailwasher will help you stop it before it even reaches your Inbox.

ian-inhome 19:41 14 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply
An example of 3 messages that have just come in.
1. Mail Delivery Subsystem [[email protected]
Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours

2. from [email protected]
Notificación de estado de entrega generada automáticamente.

3.System Administrator [[email protected]] Subject.Undeliverable: bunk bed explanatory.

I cant find any common links

Woolwell 19:48 14 Oct 06

I have had to put up with months of this. There seems to be nothing you can do except change your e-mail address. This is of course impossible with Orange as the bit before freeserve or wanadoo cannot be altered. The way around this is to set up a webmail account (hotmail or something similar) or get a domain name.

There are no common links except that there are some sad people out there who hi-jack e-mail addresses for spam. Never reply or bounce.

The amount you get varies. Some days 2 or 3 other days in their 10's.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic.

ian-inhome 19:49 14 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply Palinka but how can Mailwasher stop it when the e mails come from a different address on on a different subject each time.
Some are marked as Spam others as undeliveable / delivery status notification/ mail delivery failed/ delivery error etc etc

ian-inhome 19:52 14 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply. Woolwell I think you are probaby right I will just have to live with it.

ian-inhome 18:46 20 Oct 06

Following the suggestion in this months PCA pages 173 /174 suggesting entering your full e mail address in the account field.This has cured the problem from my point of view. Since doing that I have not received any emails sent to me that are suposedly bounced e mail that I have posted.
It will not have stopped who ever is posting them but at least my in box is not filling each day with this junk.
This works for outlook express and outlook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…