how do you use the hosts file in Windows 98

christaylor 19:24 26 Jan 05

I am trying to block a site using the Hosts file under Windows 98. I've added the site name with the loop back address of 127.0.0.1 as copied from the localhost in the example. I've removed the file extension hosts and it is in the C:|Windows directory. However it isn't blocking access to the site I'm trying to block. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.

woodchip 19:32 26 Jan 05
  VoG II 20:21 26 Jan 05

Have you restarted your PC?

christaylor 21:50 26 Jan 05

thanks woodchip interesting articles - I've put the hosts file suggested but I dodn't think its working as I still can access some of the sites in the new host listing - although I cannot get to some of the others I get the 'page cannot be displayed message'that implies the web page is not there rather than I am preventing myself from accessing it.

VoG II 21:51 26 Jan 05

You should get a blank page. Have another read click here

christaylor 21:45 27 Jan 05

I hadn't been putting the www. tag infront of the sites I was trying to block. now working as I want in blocking some of those nasty popups.
In short I used one of the suggested host files I downloaded as an example - making sure there was no suffix ie just called "Hosts". - deleted the any version of cached files (Internet Explorer tools option, then Internet options then the delete files option). I also added the sites (various globosearch sites) I wanted to block + then it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…