How do you use a barcode scanner?

woowoowoo 17:14 16 Oct 05

Hi
I have a load of old books I would like to sell on Amazon, so today at a car boot, I saw a barcode scanner and thought-just the thing. I can load the books on super quick. It plugs into the keyboard hole on the PC and the keyboard then plugs into a splitter on the scanner lead.
So I plug it in and it seems to work - lights come on and it beeps. I managed to open word to see if I could scan a barcode in then the mouse and keyboard stop working.
I don't know if this means its broken - do you have to have a driver for it?
Does anyone know?
Thanks for reading

woodchip 17:19 16 Oct 05

You have to use Software to input Price, Title, etc of book it then should create a Barcode that can be read from labels you create as stickers for products

woowoowoo 17:25 16 Oct 05

I just want it to read the isbn code - from the barcode on the back of the book. Does anyone know where I can get the software from?

woodchip 17:28 16 Oct 05

Try putting the Make into google and look for software etc for it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 16 Oct 05
  woowoowoo 17:32 16 Oct 05

Tried that - sort of got bogged down and didn't know what I needed - I'll give it another go.
Why do you think the mouse and keyboard stop working? I'm wondering if the thing is duff.

woodchip 17:34 16 Oct 05

It takes the place of Mouse

woowoowoo 17:38 16 Oct 05

Oh - I thought it plugged into the keyboard - should I have put it in the mousehole? Thanks for the link fruit bat - I'm off to check that out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…