How Do You Transfer Data to a New Computer?

Lea 14:53 19 Jun 03

Hi,
I finally gave up on my Packard Bell and bought a new computer with Windows XP.I used backup to save important documents which I need to transfer over but Windows wouldn't recognise the disc. I then put the icon onto the desktop and opened it with Notepad...the result was gobbledegook. Windows XP can transfer data via cable but I don't really want to go there. Setting up the computer stretched my technical knowledge. Would be grateful for any help as the documents are important and there is a deadline for the reports I have to write.

Thanks,

Lea

Bodi 15:23 19 Jun 03

as a temporary measure, set up your old drive as slave to your new one in your present computer? If you can, with a bit of luck, you should be able to drag the files you want into a suitably named folder on your new computer. I have done this, but not with Windows XP, and so am not absolutely certain it will work.

Presumably your old drive is FAT32?

Bodi

-pops- 15:25 19 Jun 03

click here and look at my response.

Brian

Lea 19:18 19 Jun 03

I tried again, saving and then opening on the new computer. Same thing......gobbledegook.Is there nothing I can do to change it to English? I know that Windows XP has the facility for transferring data and I will always have a go but they are talking another language! LOL It's very irritating. I only want the documents...the computer can keep the rest!

Thanks guys,

Lea

-pops- 19:33 19 Jun 03

If it's only documents and they are in a recognised format (eg Word), just copy the documents to a disk in that same format and read them in your new computer with the same or similar program. No need to mess around with backup or anything obscure.

Brian

Lea 23:07 19 Jun 03

I have solved it! Hurrah! Windows XP has a file and setting transfer wizard and after a couple of false starts I finally managed to transfer the documents to their new home. Sheesh! What a day! Anyone want a clapped out PB?
Many thanks for all your help.

Lea

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…