How do you tell if RAM is compatible

Josquius 26 May 11

I've two laptops, a old one and a new one. The new one is overall good except it has virtually no RAM, my old one is nackered but has a gb of RAM in it. How can I tell if the RAM from the old would be compatible in the new?

I'd suggest running the Crucial scanner on each, see what results it comes back with - it'll tell you what kind of memory is right for each machine. If there's more than a couple of years difference between the two laptops, I'd be surprised if the memory was compatible - but you never know.

Link

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 26 May 11

The ram will most likely have a sticker on it with information e.g.

PC2700

512MB DDR 333Mhz CL2.5

Size type speed latency

type and latency must match with what you already have

there is a notch in the contacts at the bottom if the RAm is wrong type then the notch will be in a different spot i.e. a third of the way along or central. This stops you trying to physically fit the wrong RAM

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message