How do you run sfc with no xp cd?

JanetO 15:18 17 May 08

I know there's a registry fix to point the command straight to the I386 folder, but I've forgotten how to. There's at least 1 file gone awol and I don't want to reload to factory settings (Crtl + F11, Dell and no XP cd).

Incidentally, my I386 folder is too big to burn to cd as it's a whopping 971 MB.

TIA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 17 May 08

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 17 May 08

Interesting- my 1386 folder is 21MB

crosstrainer 15:27 17 May 08

If it asks for your cd in order to copy files, you need it. Even if you copy your i386 folder to dvd, Windows is unlikely to see it as a genuine installation cd.....If you have a DVDRW drive (or can borrow an external?) You could try it that way...Would only cost you a Blank 4.7gb DVD.

dagwoood 04:27 18 May 08

Further to Fruit Bat /\0/\ link, here's another one that's more up to date and includes the relevant reg entries to point sfc to your service pack files:

click here

JanetO 10:34 18 May 08

Thanks for replies. I'll let you know how I get on.

Incidentally, inside the i386 are all sorts of odds and bobs like pics and things not relevant (!) which is why it's so big. Too many to clear out.

JanetO 09:04 22 May 08

I couldn't get the pc to 'look' in 'C' eventhough that's what it said in registry so I saved all my data and went for a 'restore' to factory settings. It couldn't even do that because it got stuck after formatting. So although my warranty ran out 18 months ago Dell sent me the discs by courier the next day and followed up with a tech phone call, and all for no charge. I was very impressed by their support.

rawprawn 09:26 22 May 08

Glad that you are sorted,it's nice to hear some compliments about a computer manufacturer for a change. Well done Dell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant