How do you repair windows system restore or a recovery console without XP CD?

rizlo29 22:46 PM 21 Nov 12

My system won't allow these functions.

northumbria61 22:53 PM 21 Nov 12

I'm afraid that if you haven't got the installation disc you can't do a recovery.

rizlo29 22:56 PM 21 Nov 12

I was hoping that I could repair registry with others help.

rizlo29 22:57 PM 21 Nov 12

I mean the partition to a recovery is still there, i just cant prompt it. Surely there's a way.

northumbria61 23:00 PM 21 Nov 12

Can you boot into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known Good Configuration"

northumbria61 23:05 PM 21 Nov 12

OR see here to start the System Restore Tool from the Command prompt in Safemode enter link description here

rizlo29 23:08 PM 21 Nov 12

I can north, but files on my PC are corrupt. I can't open LNK files no matter if I'm in safe mode.

PS I can bring up Windows restore page, the restore page is blank. I also used to be able to press a F key on restart to do a system recovery...but not anymore.

I think I have a bad virus which stops any attempt to repair PC, Even at start buttun theirs no all programs or my Computer.

rizlo29 23:09 PM 21 Nov 12

Sorry for bad english...i should have translated better.

rizlo29 23:12 PM 21 Nov 12

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe just brings up a blank system restore page.

northumbria61 23:14 PM 21 Nov 12

To be able to do any kind of Repair/Restore you are going to need an XP Installation disc. If you don't have one then see if you can borrow one.

rizlo29 23:18 PM 21 Nov 12

"To be able to do any kind of Repair/Restore you are going to need an XP Installation disc. If you don't have one then see if you can borrow one.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4188527/how-do-you-repair-windows-system-restore-or-a-recovery-console-without-xp-cd/#ixzz27AaLMhKF"

Even though on my D drive I have the XP installed? Doesn't make sense. Surely I can repair so I can press the f key and do a recovery.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites