How do you remove backdoor.agent?

pj123 11:49 04 Oct 04

Just had a call from someone I teach saying he has got a Trojan Backdoor.Agent. First, I have to ask how he got it though. He has AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Zonealarm all up to date and all on my recommendation in the first place.

Shouldn't all this protection have stopped it???

SANTOS7 11:54 04 Oct 04

click here may help,good luck

jolorna 11:57 04 Oct 04

click here something else for you to look at

Androcles 12:01 04 Oct 04

Don't know how it got in but this should sort it:-click here
Symantec Security Response - Backdoor.Agent.B Regards.

joseph K 12:08 04 Oct 04

I use exactly the same programs as you have mentioned and had a recurring battle with backdoor agent a while ago (it was lurking in my 'system restore archive' - so I was unable to remove it manually). Eventually I switched off 'system restore', ran AVG (which 'caught' the thing), rebooted and switched 'restore' back on. Since then it hasn't returned.

pj123 12:13 04 Oct 04

Thanks for the responses guys. I have read all the links. Looks like I have to go to him though as would be difficult to talk him through over the phone. I have found this on Google and printed it out, so I will go armed. click here

pj123 15:15 04 Oct 04

Don't know whether this is related but he has just told me that when he boots his computer he get two rundll errors. p2socks_1022.dll and egcomservice_1040.dll. Google doesn't show much about these two dll's in English, but from what I can gather they need to be removed from the registry???

Djohn 15:20 04 Oct 04

and directs you to this page click here

Djohn 15:23 04 Oct 04

Pete, when you get to the Sophos site in my link above, click on the advanced tab, far right top of page.

pj123 17:15 04 Oct 04

I am going to have to leave this problem for a bit because he now cannot get onto the Internet. (he has forgotten his password).

Once he is back on line I will come back.

pj123 17:36 08 Oct 04

I now have this PC in my "Intensive Care" ward.

It will only start in "Safe Mode" which means no graphics, sound, modem or CDs.

I have now installed it as a slave in one of my computers and it is readable as drive D and E (it is a 40gb partitioned into two.)
I have backed up all his personal data files to my hard drive. But I cannot format drive D:

I have put it back into its original slot in his PC and have now found the floppy disk drive is not working. Put a new one in, changed the BIOS to boot from Floppy first. The boot floppy still won't boot to A:

The boot floppy works fine in two other computers but not the one I want it to work in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…