How do you recover files using Avira AntiVir Rescue System?

OliT 22:34 PM 19 Sep 12

Hi all, would appreciate some help on this if anyone knows please.

I'm using Avira's rescue system disk and use the command prompt to get through and see my files as my computer won't load up normally and give me access to them. I'm not sure how I select the path to my portable hard disk to copy the files over, any ideas? There seems to be an option to copy files and it asks what path you wish to copy to, but when I plug my portable hard disk in it won't come up as recognised automatically as it's not in windows and I'm unsure what file path it is on. How can I tell this and set it so it will copy my files over to the portable hard disk?

lotvic 13:26 PM 20 Sep 12

I answered on your other thread, but will repeat it here incase you didn't see it

To have ext HDD recognised, I think you have to already have the external HDD attached and powered up/ switched on (if it has a separate electric power pack 3 pin plug) before you boot up pc with the rescue disc. (I know I have to when using Acronis boot CD/DVD)

rdave13 13:52 PM 20 Sep 12

Best I can come up with, scroll down a bit for the commands, click here. You should boot from the disc with the drive already connected, as lotvic says.

Another way would be to put the damaged drive in a caddy and connect to a working PC to get the files off. The only problem with that is if it has a worm on it, it might infect the host PC if you try it that way. I suppose you can scan the drive before opening it but I wouldn't be happy doing it that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Book review: Hands-on with Microsoft's impressive first laptop (better yet, it's a tablet t)…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Walking Dead VFX: a look back from Seasons 1-6

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November