How do you re-install XP

corc 12:48 22 Feb 03

A friend is going to re-install XP Pro because he is having lots of problems with his system. He wants me to find out how to do it. I don't use XP and have never installed or re-installed an OS. The version he has was pre-installed and I believe the guy who built it for him is sending him a disc. So can he just insert the disc and XP will re-format his HD and install itself or do you have to re-format first? Any help will be very much appreciated as he wants me to help him. PS Will he need to have all the drivers or will generic ones do?

Hotfingers 12:55 22 Feb 03

As far as I know you just boot up from the disc, a menu will appear with the option to re-install or completly wipe the system. If this does not work it can be a pain. I did it by deleting the main partition, wiping the sytem, putting the partition back and then re-installing XP.

Hotfingers 12:56 22 Feb 03

Oh yes, and I had to download a special boot disc to be able to do this as the standard '98 disc did not work.

« Ravin » 12:57 22 Feb 03

it's better to have the drivers for all the major hardware, graphics card, sound card and modems usually give the most problems as far as drivers are concerned. but if after installing xp the systems works well you don't have to install the drivers. have a look at the microsoft site for a list of xp compatible hardware.

installing xp is quite easy actually. insert the cd and boot from it. the setup starts and you just follow the wizard. you get the option to format the disk during setup. format the partition where xp was installed previously to get rid of the files and continue.

Legolas 12:59 22 Feb 03

He might not need to reformat If he boots from his XP DISK and chooses to install, the setup will search for installed systems it will then find the XP installation he has at the moment and give him the choice to repair take that option and XP will overwrite that installation with no loss of any of his exixting files. If he wants to format do the same as above choose the XP installation that is found by the sysyem and choose to delete it follow the instructions then he can install a fresh copy of XP

Andÿ 13:01 22 Feb 03

Steps to Repairing Windows XP (must be followed exactly or you will loose all your data or have 2 XP's installed on the same drive).

1. Put your Windows XP Install CD into your CD-ROM drive.

2. Reboot your computer.

3. Let your system boot off of the CD.

4. Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

5. When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

6. Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

7. Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

8. When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

This is the part that might scare you. The Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow these steps to repairing Windows XP.

scooby43 13:03 22 Feb 03

hi corc

I am sure you can reinstall by

1) making sure your bios is set to check for your cdrom first.

2) insert your XP CD then when the cdrom boots up

3) then press any key

4) this will iniatialise the start of the xp sequence wait for it to load then follow the onscreen instructions :) once you get to the setup it will show you the available partiton or partitions that you have select the one that you wish to install XP onto then press enter then it will give you the option of how you want to format NTFS or FAT32 as you want then you can proceed with the installation

I hope this helps sorry its a bit long

cheers

scooby43 13:04 22 Feb 03

you beat me to it Andÿ

« Ravin » 13:05 22 Feb 03
  Legolas 13:06 22 Feb 03

If my instructions are as clear as mud click here

and look for "How To Run a Repair Install" or "format"

« Ravin » 13:07 22 Feb 03

you're right , should have mentioned it :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…