How do you play a DVD on a PC?

monkiheed 10:53 12 Oct 05

Playing a DVD on my PC used to be fine, not anymore.

When I insert a DVD, windows media player says - 'a problem occurred with digital copyright protection'. If I use real it says 'key exchange for DVD copy protection failed'.

Very odd, especially because the DVD's I am using are 100% genuine and am using the most recent codecs etc. However I am able to play the DVD through PowerDVD (which came bundled with my Dell) but that software is simply terrible.

Any ideas? Please Help!!

PS. as a side issue, why do you have to have PowerDVD or an alternative to run DVDs on your PC at all?

MAJ 10:58 12 Oct 05

"PS. as a side issue, why do you have to have PowerDVD or an alternative to run DVDs on your PC at all?"

Because Windows doesn't come with a DVD decoder, PowerDVD et al supply that.

MAJ 11:12 12 Oct 05

You don't say which version of WMP you're using, monkihead, but try this click here

monkiheed 11:15 12 Oct 05

Sorry, I am using Windows Media Player 10.

The real player I have is also version 10

MAJ 11:16 12 Oct 05

Sorry that link should be click here

monkiheed 11:18 12 Oct 05

Thanks, I guess that suggests there is a problem with PowerDVD and WMP/Real being unable to use the codecs it installs.

hmmmm

MAJ 11:24 12 Oct 05

PowerDVD and WMP should work okay together, they do on mine anyway, but I don't know about Real Player, you could try Real Alternative. click here I did see a mention of that error message reported if DVD X Copy was installed.

gudgulf 12:26 12 Oct 05

I suspect this is a DRM issue and is caused by copy rotection on the DVD rather than a problem with your pc.

This is what the Microsoft knowledge base has to say on this error message:

"C00D1163: A problem occurred with digital copyright protection
A troubleshooter is available to help you solve this problem. To troubleshoot the problem, see the DVD Troubleshooter in Windows Help. In the troubleshooter, click the "I receive a message about digital copy protection" option."

And some other comments click here

I also found this comment on a website:

"Make sure you do not have any debuggers or hack software installed, as they can cause this and other undesirable results if running at the same time as our software."

This is referring to programs such as CloneDVD or other software that will let you produce copies of copywrited DVDs etc.

I don't know if this applies to you but if you do have such software it might be the cause of your problem.

tenplus1 12:42 12 Oct 05

I dont use WMP, Real or PowerDVD to play DVD's... I use VideoLan Player which is FREE and plays all other major movie formats on your pc/mac...

Get it here: click here

Echo1 13:46 12 Oct 05

"Make sure you do not have any debuggers or hack software installed, as they can cause this and other undesirable results if running at the same time as our software."

They say that to scare you in to uninstalling said software. Most of these programs are legit and don't harm your system.

Same when Sony warns against using third-party paripherals with their consoles 9saying it may cause damage to the hardware) which is pure BS.

gudgulf 14:19 12 Oct 05

Yes I know that........but there were some games that wouldn't install for exactly that reason not so long ago.It's just a possibility.

Having said that you would expect that the same error would occur with monkiheed's PowerDVD player if that was the problem.

I'll bet the version of PowerDVD he has doesn't have any DRM restrictions....unlike Media Player 10 and Real Player.

I use the K-Lite codecs pack click here which seems to play most things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…