How do you move programmes between partitions?

MikejgL 15:33 01 May 05

I want to move several apps from my C: partition to D: (programmes not files e.g. Spybot). I know I can't just cut and paste - how do I do it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 01 May 05

A lot of programs cannot be moved (especially MS progs like office outlook etc.) as their file locations are marked in the registry.

It is often easier to uninstall and reinstall on the new location (partition).

However some programs can be transfered by moving all the files and folders to the new partition.

spikeychris 15:41 01 May 05

Agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ However click here - it seems to work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:48 01 May 05

Looks like a useful utility have downloaded and will try.

ton 16:08 01 May 05

Note that even if you install programs in another partition, most of them will still have some, or even lots of parts in the C drive.

In my opinion, it is best to install to the C drive, and use the other partitions for the bulky things like music and photos etc.

woodchip 16:11 01 May 05

It's easier to reinstall after removing them first from Add Remove in Control Panel as all links point to the old Partition. In Registry in .INI files you name it.

DieSse 22:00 01 May 05

System Mechanic claims to be able to move programs - I've never tried this particular function, but System Mechanic is normally very good at what it does. You can get a 30 day trial at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…