How do you keep and access forum tips of interest?

Brumas 16:29 06 Feb 05

As an ‘asker’ rather then an ‘answerer’ of queries I am constantly amazed by the wide and diverse range of problems aired on the forum and by the sheer professionalism and good accurate solutions tendered by those, in the know, who are good enough to give their time and expertise freely in answering. I have ingratiated myself enough now and will get to my point ;o)

When I spot a topic/tip/solution or just a damn fine piece of advice I cut’n’paste it to an open word document which I save after I log off. The theory is that I periodically transfer them alphabetically to files kept within a larger folder – my FT Index (forum topics index - not that boring one in the Times!). In theory I can then search for a solution that has been posted before without having to be online - in practice I do not always transfer the tips and have to wade through lots of entries partially defeating the whole point of the exercise

I digress however, what I would like to know is how the rest of you (if indeed any of you do!) approach/tackle this subject? I know there are official magazines of tips and tricks etc. but I prefer to collate tips which are of interest to me or have some bearing on problems I have.

I did not use the search facility so maybe this topic has been thrashed to death before, if so I apologise.

Diemmess 16:39 06 Feb 05

If text, I copy and paste onto a Word Document. Later convert the table format, trim it and title it.

If a web address I make it a "favourite place" until it no longer hurts to delete it, or store it in the word docs.

pj123 16:52 06 Feb 05

Another way is to just add a few words to the posting you would like to refer to in the future.

Something like "added to my postings" will do.

Then all you need to do is look in your postings.

FelixTCat 17:11 06 Feb 05

It is good practice to cut and paste good advice to a Word document, or equivalent. The problem is always to be able to find what you want later.

Recently, some good desktop search engines are becoming available. Google and Yahoo both have beta versions out, but one I have found recently is Blinkx Desktop, click here

Just set it to index the directories you want, eg docs, emails etc and it will set off indexing in the background. When you want to find anything, just enter a search string and it will find all the references. I am still experimenting with it to narrow down the searches, but so far it is working really well and is very fast.

Stuartli 17:40 06 Feb 05

You are thinking of Google Desktop Search - it's not a beta now as far as I'm aware.

I was using it but decided to uninstall it as it proved of little value personally.

However, there is a problem if anyone else has access to your system as it can be used to discover data or information that you may require to remain private.

octal 17:55 06 Feb 05

One other tip which I use is to make a mini web page with a short description of the document with a clickable link which opens the document.

I use this type of system on a large database of safety notices at work.

Stuartli 18:04 06 Feb 05

Why not create a folder in Bookmarks and add any URLs you wish to keep?

Stuartli 18:05 06 Feb 05

..or Favourites as the case may be....

Newuser38 19:09 06 Feb 05

I used to do what pj123 mentions until PCA had to archive our postings and I lost a lot. Now I cut and paste to word the ones I think I might find useful.

Brumas 21:29 06 Feb 05

Thanks to each and all, you have given me some new ideas which I shall try at my leisure. I shall leave this post open a little while longer in order to catch the 'weekend trade' ;o)

ton 21:50 06 Feb 05

I have used a small free program called Yankee Clipper for about three years to do this sort of thing.

It sits in the taskbar till needed.

I just highlight what I want and click copy, it has been very reliable.

It will save text, url's or pictures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…