How do you install a mic?

Josquius 20:40 12 Nov 05

I always though these things were just plug them in and they work instantly though it seems not. And my computer isn't detecting it automaticly or if add new hardware or anything.
So any idea how to do it?
What would it be under in add hardware?

woodchip 20:45 12 Nov 05

plug it in to mic socket, then you need to go to the sound icon in system tray right click and open, go to top left options recording make sure that the mic as got a tick in the box

How are you testing the mic to see whether or not it is working? Try going to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, advanced. This opens the Volume Control. Unmute the mic and speak through it. You should hear yourself through your speakers. (If mic is not listed then click the options menu and choose properties and check the box for microphone).

Mics are analouge devices therefore Windows does not detect whether or not they are present. They do just 'plug in and work'.

If you have a seperate sound card, make sure you're plugging it into that and not the motherboard's onboard sound.

Dave

Josquius 23:14 12 Nov 05

Mic is unmuted and at max volume.

What do you mean by the system tray?

woodchip 23:16 12 Nov 05

where the clock is. you should see a speaker right click it go to Open. then top right corner for options recording

woodchip 23:17 12 Nov 05

Sorry Options\Properties\Recording

VoG II 23:17 12 Nov 05

Notification area in XP.

Josquius 11:40 13 Nov 05

With boost turned on I am getting some basic sound coming out of the speakers though not all of it, and it isn't recording.
Also I didn't need boost with my old mic.

Is there any sort of way to uninstall all traces of a mic and start from scratch?
I did a lot of messing on trying to get my old one working before I accepted it was broke (tested it with another computer to prove it)

You would have to re-install your sound card drivers. Have you got the CD that contains these? Usually on the motherboard driver CD unless it is a seperate sound card.

Josquius 13:21 14 Nov 05

Reinstalling did it, I can get sound amped through my speakers.
However I can't record, sound recorder says another programme is using the mic and needs closing before I can use that.
Audacity won't let the record volume go above 0.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…