How do you get rid of a partition In Vista

Migwell 19:41 08 Nov 08

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PI2515 laptop which has a 'C' and a 'D' drive also the hidden partition. I want to have only 'C' drive and do away with 'D' drive where I have my files and all my photographs which is nearly full. But 'C' drive has quite a lot of space, and if I combine the two I will have pleanty of space. I do not like partitions of the small sizes that this gives me on a 160Gig drive, it wouldn't be so bad it it were partitioned using a 500Gig drive but after all this is a laptop.

Also is there any way I could replace tha drive with the biggest one I can find and have Vista cloned to the new drive and then just use the little 160Gig as a small plug in instead?

woodchip 19:45 08 Nov 08

Restore may not work after as the Partition Letter will change. Plus it may look for the D Partition.

Is this a Medion by chance

cream. 19:49 08 Nov 08

Make sure system restore and virtual memory is turned off on the D drive. Then go to disk management and shrink the D drive and expand the C drive.

This will merge the space from the D drive into C.

Migwell 20:03 08 Nov 08

Thanks cream, how do I turn those off I know how to do those things in XP but this is that stupid Vista. I dont like it very much, every thing seems to be hidden in a different place and it drives me daft.

Migwell 20:24 08 Nov 08

Would I also have to empty the 'D' drive before I do all that?

canarieslover 20:50 08 Nov 08

Yes you would have to empty it or lose everything on it.

cream. 08:58 09 Nov 08

nearly the same as XP.

Control panel> system > remote settings > advanced > performance settings > advanced gives you virtual memory.

Control panel> system > system protection. gives you system restore.

And Do transfer all your files and settings over from D. Then format it via disk management.

Migwell 22:54 09 Nov 08

Thanks all, I have now just got a 'C' drive 'D' has gone thank goodness. Ijust find Vista to much of a problem to get around. I wish I could convert this computer to XP it is far easier to deal with. But Fujitsu say the hsve no drivers to work it with XP so I guess I am stuck.

Has anyone any word about the second part of my question, that is to install a larger hard drive and use the hidden installation to install this dam Vista on it?

woodchip 22:59 09 Nov 08

As I said you Restore will not now work from D. You need to buy Acronis True Image, make a Image save it to D if there is enough room if not to a external drive. Fit new drive then install Image to it. From Old drive set as Slave or from Ex disc

Migwell 23:11 09 Nov 08

Thanks Woodchip I misunderstood what you were saying. I now understand. Please excuse my ignorance.

I will now check the RESOLVED box, thanks again for the help.
Migwell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5