How do you get around missing discs?

miniman79 20:54 28 Aug 05

Hi,

Took a look at my neighbours pc (XP) that is in dire need of a re-install. The problem is he hasn't got the original XP disc. Looking at it I would guess that it was the original operating system when the system was bought. I suppose I could buy Ghost and "ghost" it but then it would copy all the faults we are trying to get rid of! Will ghost copy the entire drive and make it bootable so you can wipe the drive and then boot to it????
It is genuine as I did the validation check when downloading the MS Spyware beta.

Thanks for reading

Diodorus Siculus 20:57 28 Aug 05

Ghost is no good for this; as you say, it will create an image of a faulty installation of Windows.

Best to spend the £70 or so and buy the OS.

paddyjack 21:04 28 Aug 05

is the os on a hidden partition, if that is the case f10 at start up will bring it up. It will restore it to factory settings

miniman79 21:05 28 Aug 05

Thanks. Where would you recommend the cheapest place to get Pro from? There seems to be a grey area with people selling them saying things like "original Dell" or "you will require your original OS disk while installing this"

paddyjack 21:05 28 Aug 05

sorry should have said that I have found f10 to be the most common key for this

miniman79 21:05 28 Aug 05

Thanks. Where would you recommend the cheapest place to get Pro from? There seems to be a grey area with people selling them saying things like "original Dell" or "you will require your original OS disk while installing this"

miniman79 21:07 28 Aug 05

miniman79 21:14 28 Aug 05

Sorry about the 3 duplicate replies it errored out on me and when I checked it had replied 3 times sorry. Paddy- it isn't on a hidden partition.
Thanks guys

mark2 21:33 28 Aug 05

It may be worth looking at click here if the relevant files are on the hard drive somewhere you ought to be able to create your own recovery disk

woodchip 22:09 28 Aug 05

If you have a full XP disc you should be able to repair his without putting key in

Strawballs 23:57 28 Aug 05

click here Try looking here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…