How do you edit registry.

Bowsprit 19:48 09 Jul 04

I uninstalled a program but it is still causing problems from registry and i would like to remove it.I know less than nothing about the registry but searched it and found one reference to program under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars{C4EE----------}Files Named MRU. In the right pane it's Named 000 and from here it is overriding bios.Is it safe to delete or ?

johnsims 19:56 09 Jul 04

MRU is Most Recently Used.
Unless you are absolutely 110% certain a registry entry is only to do with the rogue prog you should not delete it.
If you want to try, backup the relevant registry key first then delete and if you run into other problems restore the backup to the registry.

Halmer 19:57 09 Jul 04

would be my answer (from experience!).

stalion 19:58 09 Jul 04

you need a good free registry cleaner which will remove any residue left by a uninstalled program I am sure someone can recommend one on here

Dorsai 20:20 09 Jul 04

Click run from the start menu, and type in 'regedit' without the qoutes. The first thing i would do now it select 'file' and then 'export', click on the radio button 'all' in the 'export range' box at the bottom (in XP anyway) to save the (entire) registry to a backup. type in a name for the backup, and then 'save'.

But if you do too much damage you might not get the chance to restore from the backup, as windowz might not start up enough in the first place to allow you to restore from the backup...

A thing best left to programs designed for this task, and 'super users' when at all possibel.

perhaps if you listed the program you are trying to disable someone can give detailed (and relativly safe) advice.

Bowsprit 21:34 09 Jul 04

I replied earlier but forgot to press the Post response so i'll give details again.I already tried RegSeeker but it did not find it.I tried backing up registry and deleting as you said and the entry has been removed but it's still in control of bios.The program was OSL2000 a boot manager which i just wanted to try out.Any other registry cleaners i could try ?

VoG II 21:40 09 Jul 04

For XP RegscrubXP click here

stalion 21:44 09 Jul 04

try this click here
you want cw shredder

gudgulf 22:00 09 Jul 04

Try the instructions in "how do I uninstall" from click here before messing with the registry.

Bowsprit 22:58 09 Jul 04

Thanks for replies.gudgulf i tried installing the program again and making a proper uninstall disk (which i should have done the first time) and uninstalling program again and this time it carried out a complete uninstall of all the bits and pieces including registry so back to normal.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…