How do you create a restore disc

keith-236785 15:38 17 Feb 05

hi

i am wanting to create a system restore disc like pcworld offer, i have Nero 6 ultra edition, and have been given Norton Ghost 9.0 but i am stuck on where to begin. i really want to create a DVD from which i can restore my system should i need to. i am running windows XP Pro.

i know how to create a backup image and burn it to DVD, but when i try to use it i need to boot into windows first which seems to take away the whole point of doing this in the first place. How do Pcworld make the restore discs?

anyone out there got any ideas?

thanks in advance.

p.s the manual might as well be in hebrew for all the sense it makes to me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 17 Feb 05
  woodchip 15:54 17 Feb 05

The best way, is if you have a separate Partition Start Ghost choose create backup Image follow what it says but put the Image on the other Partition from what you are backing up. NOT the same partition. If the Image is small enough burn it to DVDR if not you will need to set Ghost to create the Image in chunks, so it will fit onto DVDR's

chaztait 16:22 17 Feb 05

and just to let you know it also does it onto CD-R's if you dont have a DVD burner. So if you have a D Drive then just put the image onto that so when you reboot your C Drive then the image will still be in the D Drive.. well thats what i do.

Hope this helps

chaztait

keith-236785 16:32 17 Feb 05

Fruit Bat /\0/
Thanks for the link but it appears to be for linux, i do dual boot linux but i have to say i am a complete idiot where linux is concerned.

i downloaded mkcdrec but havent installed it yet.

woodchip

as i said, i have an image burnt onto dvd, but i cant boot from the dvd, i must be missing something simple but what?

chaztait

thanks, i have a dvd burner and cdrw, but the info might help others who only have a cdrw.

thanks for the help guys

PsiFox 16:58 17 Feb 05

You could always use the ASR (Automated System Recovery) in XP

click here

PsiFox

keith-236785 17:03 17 Feb 05

PsiFox

many thanks for that, i will try that later and post back if i am successful.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 17 Feb 05

XP SP2 Recovery disk click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 17 Feb 05

click here read this thread.

I made a disk and have since used it found took about 1/2 hour to make.

woodchip 17:39 17 Feb 05

You cannot restore just from the CD if your using Ghost there should be a way to create boot floppy's in Ghost to start the Program in DOS, you then restore from the CD after you have booted with the Floppy disc's

woodchip 17:42 17 Feb 05

Also if Ghost is on a CD on it's own, you may be able to boot with the Ghost CD, but you would need to set BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…