How do you create a backup for a Dell

Totally-braindead 20:14 22 Apr 07

A friend of mine just phoned and is having a few problems with her 6 month old Dell. Now I'm fairly sure she received no XP disk with it and seem to recall that XP is in a hidden partition on the hard drive. Is this correct and if so can you open it and burn it to disk if necessary for reinstallation/repair.
Looked on the Dell website but couldn't find much help.
I am hopeful that I can repair her PC without resorting to this sort of thing but like to be prepared just in case.

skidzy 20:19 22 Apr 07

Hi Totally-braindead

Most Dell's have a hidden partition (F11),i have manged to copy this using Acronis and backed up the whole drive as an image.
Backing it up invidually,this i have not tried.

Also when this system was bought,normally upon first boot you are asked to create a recovery disc.

Does this Dell have Sonic installed ?

anskyber 20:24 22 Apr 07

I agree with skidzy. On first boot up there is a chance to burn a recovery disc.

Otherwise there is a recovery partition to restore to factory settings.

skidzy 20:28 22 Apr 07

Just to add TB,once in the recovery partition,you may receive 3 options:

1) Restore (destructive/Factory settings)
2) Recover without data loss
3) Repair without data loss

These options may differ on different machines.

Totally-braindead 20:38 22 Apr 07

Have to check about the sonic thing and shes made no mention of the creating a recovery disk option on first boot up.
I had kind of hoped I could have just go into the partition, however you do that, and just burned it to disk but I presume it wouldn't be that easy in that even supposing I did that the disk thus created would not be a bootable disk. Or would it? Is it that simple?
Is there an easy way to burn the partition to disk and create a bootable CD?

skidzy 20:46 22 Apr 07

If you go into Disc Management you may be able to see the hidden partition,though you may have to show hidden files and folders.

Im not sure you can copy the recovery partition individually,therefore i would be wrong to suggest you can TB.

However if the pc has a few issues,maybe a backup of the wanted data and restore via the recovery partition and then use the recovery disc software to make the recovery disc...this is a one time application until the system has been restored again.

Totally-braindead 21:18 22 Apr 07

Goog thinking skidzy. I am pretty hopeful that it won't be necessary to do this anyway. The problems sound fairly easy to sort out I just like to be prepared. Already sorted out my pen drive with a few essentials. You know the sort of thing, AV progs, spyware tools etc just in case.

skidzy 21:24 22 Apr 07

Best of luck TB,keep us updated how you get along.

Totally-braindead 21:26 22 Apr 07

Goog thinking? What have I been drinking?

skidzy 21:28 22 Apr 07

Must be the power of Google TB , and a pint or two of course :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…