How do you change movie codecs for VCD format?

Mad Boy 15:38 07 Apr 03

I made a post before that i could burn a VCD and it would play but no picture would show, I was told that this was due to the codecs.

What format (or codec) do I need to play my mpg,avi etc correctly in my DVD player?

And how do i change all the formats and codecs to be the same?

Really Appreciated Thanks

Mad Boy 16:33 07 Apr 03

One must know the solution?

crx16 16:56 07 Apr 03

"VCD stands for VideoCD (version 2.0 to be more specific). VideoCD is a standard developed in early 1990's that allows regular CD to contain 74 minutes of video and audio. Both, video and audio, are encoded in MPEG-1 format and stored on the CD in specific format."click here

VCD is MPEG-1 codec,the only options i can see are PAL/NTSC.

check your DVD player supports VCD click here

Mad Boy 17:04 07 Apr 03

Sorry i should of mentioned to keep the reply as basic as possible. The links ment nothing to me, yes my DVD does support VCD as some movies work. but the majority of them dont. Right, i have a *.avi type movie here which doesnt work, from what you are saying do i have to change it to a MPG-1 or is this *.avi no good and I have to download the movie again in MPG format? Please keep the reply away from the technical stuff if possible, Thanks

MichelleC 17:32 07 Apr 03

It could be a DivX avi in which case you'll need the free player click here

Or you may need to convert to various codecs click here

Or it could be regional click here

crx16 17:36 07 Apr 03

when you create a VCD,before burning there is a process that converts the original file (mpeg/avi) into a VCD file (mpeg-1).

there arent any variations of VCD.

ive had similar problems creating DVD's(mpeg-2) some avi files just dont want to convert(only get the audio).

pinka 17:43 07 Apr 03

use TMPGenc but u will more than likely need to decompress the audio first , a good audio decompressor can be found in the avi2vcd package

Mad Boy 19:39 07 Apr 03

The links are great, but simply put:

HOW DO I BURN A MOVIE INTO VCD FORMAT WHICH WILL PLAY ON MY DVD, NOT TO PLAY ON THE PC?

crx16 19:44 07 Apr 03

you say you have already created some VCD's,so you must know how to do it.?

pinka 19:44 07 Apr 03

use nero , just make sure you know which format the film is in , ntsc or pal .
you find this by right clicking the file , properties , summary .
ntsc film = 23.976 fps
pal = 25 fps
ntsc = 29.976 fps

y_not 19:51 07 Apr 03

Download from click here the TMPGenc encoder programme.

Install it then use it's wizard to encode the file (your AVI file) to MPEG1 format. It will want to know the location to store the file in....the file is very much smaller than the AVI file (this is correct).

Once encoded write the new (encoded) file to CD and it will play on your DVD player.

Hope it helps

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…