how do you boot into XP using W98 floppy ?

Indigo 1 19:01 30 Jun 05

Does anyone know the exact procedure to boot into XP from a W98 floppy ?

My father is having problems after virus infection so simple terms please as I will need to pass them on.

mattyc_92 19:04 30 Jun 05

Erm.... I don't think you can.... You probably can, but I haven't used a Win98 Startup Disk in a while

Once you have repaired the system (using an emergancy disk provided with most anti-virus titles and sometimes the installation disk is the emergancy boot disk), Windows SHOULD load....

Completealias 19:39 30 Jun 05

If the file system of the drive is NTFS then a win98 boot floppy won't read the drive you need a boot floppy with a NTFS reader on it click here

What are you hoping to do if you want to repair xp and you have an xp disk then set the BIOS to boot from cd and put the disc in the tray you can then boot up from that.

If you just wish to gain access to the drive then use the boot disk above, if you want the xp setup boot disks then click here

Hope that is of some help

Indigo 1 00:07 01 Jul 05

Thanks for that, I thought you could, in fact I was reliably told that you could but when I tried it (about 18 months ago) I was not successful, so instead managed to download the files, copy to 6 diskettes and boot from the 6 diskette set. NTFS was probably the cause.

My father is new to XP and has been getting advice from my brother who is more used to 98 and ME and has never used XP so they were hoping to be able to boot it from floppy. I live over 350 miles away and obviously I am not able to just 'pop' round to help, I am also getting fragmented reports on the situation and their progress so can not be certain that they are not making too much of a mess of things.

TomJerry 00:13 01 Jul 05
  Brian-336451 01:29 01 Jul 05

If they've got Partition Magic they can convert the C: drive back to FAT32 then the floppy will work.

I keep an old Win98 Boot floppy for just that reason.

XP runs quite happily in a FAT32 environment whatever anyone says about it and efficiency, robustness etc etc (NTFS is recommended).

Graham ® 08:51 01 Jul 05

Use Windows Messenger to remote access the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced