How do you back up 9,5 gig?

Jota 21:57 08 Feb 03

I'm running XP Home on a 3 year old computer. When I bought the printer, scanner etc XP hadn't been released on the market. Therefore I spent all weekend searching for and downloading XP drivers to get everything to work. I would like to back up the system in case it crashes but how do I back up 9.5 gig of information. Do I buy an external hard drive and stick it all on there?
Thanks chaps.

jediknight007 22:06 08 Feb 03

Why do you need to back up 9.5GB of information? Most of it is probably programs which you can install again from your CDs once you have reinstalled Windows XP. It's also very unlikely that installing new drivers will result in you losing your data. If it doesn't work, then go back using the System Restore and try another driver. And crashing doesn't mean you have lost your data.

If you still feel like backing up your data, just backup the most important things and files you can't be bothered to download again.

Rtus 22:07 08 Feb 03

you could equally well use an additional hard drive attached to the secondry slave of your unit unless you have that position populated allready.using drive image disk to disk would make it a reletively easty task..thats a cheaper option than external hard drive.

Jota 22:13 08 Feb 03

That's just it - if I lose the hard drive, I have got to hunt around for all the XP drivers to get all the peripherals up and running again. The printer, scanner CD-RW and speakers did not work and all the CD's that came with this lot do not have XP drivers on - they are too old.

jediknight007 22:20 08 Feb 03

I don't think you will lose your hard drive if your printer or scanner doesn't work due to your drivers not working. The rest of the PC will still work.

Beas-Knees 22:21 08 Feb 03

Used drive image the other day backing up 8.5 gig onto CDR,s with high compression,used 6 and a bit disks and with the price of CDR,s being only around £15 for 100 this is the cheapest option me thinks.

leo49 22:21 08 Feb 03

You've already downloaded drivers etc you say, so burn them to CD.

jediknight007 22:22 08 Feb 03

Btw, are you sure that your CD-RW drive doesn't work under Windows XP? Mine is over 2 years old and Windows XP provides the necessary drivers for it. Try using Windows Update to search for any drivers you need. I am sure that Windows will find a suitable driver for your CD-RW drive. Once that's sorted, you can easily backup your important files and drivers so that you don't need to next time.

jediknight007 22:24 08 Feb 03

Oh sorry, didn't read properly. Your CD-RW does work then.

Jota 22:29 08 Feb 03

Yes it's been up and running for 10 months but if the worst happens I thought there would be a quick fix. I've got all the drivers saved onto CD so that's all I can do apart from buying XP compatible stuff (printer etc) Thanks anyway much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…