how do u backup files

leeknight67 18:25 23 Oct 03

how do i bacup files then when ive formatted the c drive how do i go about getting them back

R4 18:35 23 Oct 03

Are you asking 'How do I recover my files after I have reformatted my Hard disk ?'

Djohn 18:49 23 Oct 03

If you have two hard drives, then select the files/folders you wish to keep, then just copy them over. If you have just the one drive, do the same but burn them to a CD. Format your hard drive, install your operating system, update all your drivers and install your programs.

Insert the CD that you've used to back-up your files/folders and move them back over to the hard drive. That's the easy answer! If you need more details or advice as to how you best do this, post back and one of the forum members will give more details. j.

leeknight67 18:54 23 Oct 03

i do not have a cd rewriter

recap 19:02 23 Oct 03

You will need some sort of external back-up device like a Zip drive or a card reader. Connect the device and go into Explorer and drag and drop the files you want to save to the external device.

Djohn 19:11 23 Oct 03

I have used a link to your first thread so that others can see. Try to stay with this one now and give the other thread a tick, then click the "Resolved" button. click here

leeknight67, I'm sorry to say that you will need to buy a CDR to copy your files before you format the drive. This will be the best way to do it.

Or if your drive is big enough, then you could use Partition magic to place a separate partition on your present drive, copy the files/folders to that and format only the C drive. The C drive is where you will put your O/S and programs back after the format, then do as in my post above.

How big is your drive, and how much free space do you have? Also which operating system are you using? J.

Djohn 19:12 23 Oct 03

recap, I forgot to refresh before posting and didn't see your reply. j.

leeknight67 19:21 23 Oct 03

it is 13 gig and i got 3 gig free at the moment andim using windos 98

recap 19:23 23 Oct 03

No problem Djohn, you have made some valid points.

leeknight67, further to my original posting: I use a few methods for backing up data/files. One of which is a multi-card reader I purchased from click here I purchased the six- in-one with a 128Mb card for just under £50 at the begining of the year. You can purchase a Compact Flash card reader for £14.09 and the 512Mb card for £86.94. If you think that would not be enough memory they do a 1Gb card for £195.04 but I would think the 512Mb would be enough.

R4 19:37 23 Oct 03

Or you could buy a new larger hard disk say at least 40Mb quite cheaply and install it as master and old drive as slave then re-install your system or a new one on the master, then copy the files you want from slave to master.

Note: if you re-install or change the O/S you will need your drivers for the motherboard, video and other hardware unless you know wgere they are on your old drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…