How do they know I've opened mail?

stlucia 13:22 23 Jul 04

The advice often given on this site and elsewhere is not to open, or preview, any email that you're not sure about. This is to avoid spammers receiving electronic confirmation that your address is a valid one.

But, if you're on dial-up, how does this confirmation get back to them if you've downloaded your emails and then gone off-line before opening them? Do the senders (spammers) get a confirmation when you download the emails from your ISP? Is a confirmation sent back (without you knowing) the next time you log on? Or does this precaution only apply if you open or preview your emails while you're on-line?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:34 23 Jul 04

You can set a read reciept in your emails to find if someones opened it, sent back when online even if you have deleted the e-mail since

You are usually told if this will happen, however
read recently in this forum about aprogram that does the same thing without telling you.

€dstowe 13:41 23 Jul 04

The technology for tracing opened emails is fairly simple (I understand).

We use, for legitimate reasons I might add, this program click here to check that emails have been received and opened.

If you're concerned about opening undesirable emails, use Mailwasher or e-Prompter by which you can check read and censor while they are still on the server without ever loading them into your computer.

€d

stlucia 13:50 23 Jul 04

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ and €dstowe; I don't have a problem because I don't preview or open dubious emails. But I was just wondering how the spammers know that I've opened them if I'm off-line when I do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…