How do set XP to turn off it self ??

bullys 15:51 14 Jul 03

Got XP Pro and when i shut down it dont shut down i have to press my Tower button in . Please Advise Cheers

spikeychris 17:23 14 Jul 03

Can be lots of things so click here

Chris

Philip2 21:22 14 Jul 03

Go to system then hardware device manager click view click show hidden devices you should see a red cross enable this and windows should shut down.Sorry can't remember the file name it's old age.

Gaz 25 21:24 14 Jul 03

You could also use the Task Manager in XP to shutdown at a particular time, just type: shutdown -t 01

In the file name.

keith-236785 22:15 14 Jul 03

if you have NORTON antivirus installed, try disabling it (or even uninstalling it) before you shut down.

I had this probleb albeit with windows98 and it turned out to be Norton antivirus that was not allowing the pc to shut down, this version of Norton was included on the motherboard driver cd (so you would expect it to be compatable) but it wasnt.

once i had Uninstalled Norton then the system shutdown properly.

One other thing you could look at is Power options in control panel, see what action it is set to under the Advanced tab, should be

1. when i press the power button on my computer (shut down)

and

2. when i press the sleep button on my computer (stand by)

these are the settings i have and everything works as it should (win XP Pro)

hope this helps

bullys 18:42 17 Jul 03

Sorted it thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…