How do install a new device driver?

as400man 19:20 31 Jan 03

My CD Rom has failed due to a corrupt/missing driver.I have found a new driver but when I take the manual options to install it in device manager I just see a list of driver objects not folder/file details.

How do I get XP to see the new driver in a temporary folder on my c: drive?

I just have the cdrom.sys file not an install.exe file for the new driver.

Rayuk 19:36 31 Jan 03

Right click on cdrom click update driver
instal from list or specific location/click next
click on browse button and find where you have temp file

Timeforabeer 19:48 31 Jan 03

Have a look here click here

as400man 20:05 31 Jan 03

I did as you suggested but although I can browse to the temporary folder I do not get the option to click OK - it is greyed out, I just get cancel as an option.

Rayuk 20:14 31 Jan 03

Have you tried removing cdrom from device manager rebooting and see if it picks it up.

woodchip 20:19 31 Jan 03

You do not need a driver for CDrom it's installed by windows, and if it's a CDRW by the software you got with the burner

as400man 20:22 31 Jan 03

It just re-installs with the bad driver. I have tried moving the temp folder to SYSTEM32. Now I can select it but it says it cannot find the .INF file (Device information as XP says).
Any ideas (and many thanks for your interest this far)

woodchip 20:25 31 Jan 03

So in XP you need to go back to a restor point, If it's a burner remove the software and reinstall

Rayuk 20:28 31 Jan 03

What model is the cdrom

as400man 21:10 31 Jan 03

No restore point to go back to with a working version of the driver. I don't use the CD much and I clear restore points until I know I'm going to do some fiddling.

woodchip 21:19 31 Jan 03

Is it a writer or just plain CDrom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…