How do I write to DVD+RW? - Still very confused

NickyK 13:02 02 Feb 05

I've got Dell/WindowsXP with DVD/CD ROM drives (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-etc). I've also got a 2.75GB picture album which I want to write on a 4.7GB Philips 1x4x DVD+RW. Whenever I click on write, I get told there is no media in drive (yes, I have made sure I have put a disc in).
I wonder if my system can write to DVD+RWs. Or do I need to format the disc (and, if so, how do I do that?). I have no probs playing DVDs, and no probs writing to CDs.

PS., I did try the search facility before posting, but nothing quite fitted my dilemma. I am well out of my depth on this.

For writing to CD, I use whatever program came with the Dell (Standard CD ROM drivers).

scotty 13:13 02 Feb 05

I think your drive is what is known as a combo drive which is a read and write CD drive combined with a read only DVD drive. Check your documentation to confirm if this is the case. If so, you cannot write to DVD using this device. You would need to add a DVD writer to your pc.

NickyK 13:20 02 Feb 05

Thanks, Scotty. I think you are probably right. I'llleave this post open for a bit longer. Can anyone recommend a very inexpensive but excellent dvd writer?

Technotiger 13:27 02 Feb 05

Hi, I bought a new all singing-all dancing 16x Super-multi dvd/cd Rewriter (8.5gb dvr+r Double Layer) drive for £55 from my local pc shop. It is made by LG and includes the following software - Nero Express-Nero BackitUp - InCD - PowerDVD and Power Producer Gold.

Cheers.

scotty 13:32 02 Feb 05

I like the LG DVD writers. They are quiet and they can also write to DVD RAM discs which are the most reliable type of DVD for archiving data.

click here

TomJerry 13:34 02 Feb 05

all around £45

NEC ND-3520 16x16 Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW

LG GSA-4163BA Beige DVD +/-R/RW 16x16x4x4x5 Dual layer IDE

Samsung TS-H552B Dual Layer 16x DVD +/-R/RW

Lite-on SOHW-1653S Dual Layer 16x DVD+/- R/RW

Pioneer DVR-108 16X DVD +/-R/RW Dual Layer IDE

Sony DW-D22A Dual Layer Beige 16X DVD +/-R/RW

all of them are great

NickyK 13:54 02 Feb 05

Thanks everyone. Really helpful. I so love this site!

I'm off to my local PC shop to compare prices.

Thanks again,

N

George Smiley 13:59 02 Feb 05

If getting a new internal drive is too cumbersome, you can always get an external DVD Re-Writer drive connected via USB.

I got mine (a Lite-On, at a reasonable price but a little slower than the top models) from click here

SEASHANTY 15:38 02 Feb 05

The LG GSA-4163BA also supports DVD-RAM discs - probably the only pne mentioned above that does this. It is also on offer at Microdirect Manchester for £44-64 (inc. vat). click here

NickyK 17:03 02 Feb 05

Thanks George and Seashanty. I'm leaning towards the LG as mentioned above. Good price at microdirect. I'll make up my mind tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Nicky

SEASHANTY 11:33 03 Feb 05

That retail version of the LG with all that software included seems like a bargain at £55. I presume that it is the GSA-4163 you are describing. The one at £44-64 from MD is the OEM version which is just the bare drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…